Light question

jaydm93teg

Market
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I have been in and out of the hobby for a while. I have never found the lights that make my tank look like the tanks I have seen when everyone post all of these great tank pictures. I have had T5's MH's and now am using LED's. The colors on my coral just dont seem to pop like they do in other folks tanks unless I am just running the Blue LED's... Does anyone have any suggestions for lights that arent crazy expensive or do u really need the $500-$800 Leds to get that nice pop on all corals? I dont mind spending the money on it, but would rather not if others have had success with other fixtures.

Thanks!

You could probably add some reef brite xho bars or the ebay equivalent that uses the same blue spectrum. The pure blue led is a very nice visual complement to corals in the evening viewing hours.

What are the level in your tank in terms of water quality? I know this is a question about lights but for the last 2 years I've become more and more convinced that lights are a much smaller part of the equation than I previously thought. I've seen some great colors from light setups that are cobbled together out of 3-4 different fixtures with what I would consider low PAR levels. I personally have invested in LED/T5 combo units to duplicate what I've seen on other setups and my colors were all washed out. As soon as I started closely monitoring (and adjusting) nutrient levels, the colors really started popping. Same lights, different water parameters.

You could probably add some reef brite xho bars or the ebay equivalent that uses the same blue spectrum. The pure blue led is a very nice visual complement to corals in the evening viewing hours.

Do you know if these are also good for growing corals or is it mainly for the nice coloration? I am starting a frag tank in the next few weeks and would love to add some lights without breaking the bank. Thanks!

I've been growing some corals with nice color using those. They have a 470nm spectrum.

Correct, I’m pretty sure I was one of the first ones on the form that was using them. I’ve been using them for almost 2 years now.

Back