Lighting 29 Gallon reef tank help needed

jbb-square

Reaction score
Greetings all

I am new (25 years ago had a tank) to Saltwater tanks and reed set ups. I just purchased a 29 gallon tank and in the process of cycling. I was able to build a stand and the tank is now in my 7 year olds room. We are on a major budget. We need to improve the lighting on the tank to support a reef with a few fish and some corals.

I was thinking of building my own canopy with a Metal Halide Light. I was considering buying the parts ballast etc and fabricating or buying a fixture from Home Depot and taking it apart to install in the canopy. I have also considered attempting to use t-5 lights or some combination.

I have not see any budget used lights for a 29 gallon tank as most appear to be 48 inches long and my tank is only 30 inches.

I would welcome some advice on this project.

Thank you for all the help.

Best regards,
Burton

index.asp

I made a custom hood/light system for my 29 gal planted tank. I bought the light kit from
a> .  It is compact flourescent setup 2x55 or 110 watts.  This may not be enough lighting depending on your needs though.  I personally think these lights would work better on a 20 gal long (same dimensions, just lower height) but I thought I would just give you another option.

Thanks everyone for the tips. You have given me somethings to think about. I do not know what corals we want yet as we are only on day 2 of the tank. Looking at the prices of premade lighting I may be better off to find a set of lights for parts to build my own. I like the set up with the MH flanked by Fluorecent tubes.

Thank you again for all the tips

Burton

Back