Lighting Decision Help Needed

basscyn

Market
Reaction score
<span style="font-family: Georgia;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">The 175 is still in the planning stage. I am in no hurry so I am taking a lot of time to research. I only want to do this once. I like to lean on the ARC experts for advice.</span></span>

<span style="font-family: Georgia;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">I am still struggling with fixtures vs retro. But here are a couple of layouts I was thinking about with fixtures.</span></span>

<span style="font-family: Georgia;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">I think I can do what I want with fixtures and it will be a lot easier to plug and play. My canopy does not support lighting. It is more like a “canopy cover”. It looks really clean…but will not support any weight. Otherwise its build a support for retro’s that this cover would slip over or build a new canopy. I would rather go with fixtures unless someone talks me out of it.</span></span>

<span style="font-family: Georgia;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">I am leaning with #2 here. </span></span>
<span style="font-family: Georgia;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">I plan on having a lot of rock stacked high along the back with PCV or rods in maybe a big “U”shape. I want a lone tower of rock (SPS Island) near the front, off center, with a MH blasting down on it. I think it would look really cool. I have never seen a set up like that and was wondering if it was doable.</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Georgia;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Any suggestions are most welcome.</span></span>

<span style="font-family: Georgia;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Thanks as always.</span></span>

<span style="font-family: Georgia;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Never tried to post a document before...so here it goes.</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Georgia;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">See attached!</span></span>
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

Will you be able to "hang" the fixtures from the ceiling or are you wanting fixtures that will rest on the tank? Bowfronts are always a little more difficult to light with fixtures unless you are able to hang them.

Its kind of hard to explain my vision of this. And again its even harder because I have not seen a set-up like this either.

The tank is primarily lit up by T-5 lighting which casts a very "even" light. The exception is this one island that has a spot light of MH blasting on it. Like a beam of sun through the clouds. The tank is plenty deep enough to pull this island out front on its own and create a 3d effect.Might even cast a shadow behind it. I think a break in the lighting would create kind of a cool effect.

I have no first hand experience with halides. I just assume I could acheive this effect with a configuration like this.

My shimmering clam island!:up:

Cant anyone feel me??:D

mufret;224241 wrote: Will you be able to "hang" the fixtures from the ceiling or are you wanting fixtures that will rest on the tank? Bowfronts are always a little more difficult to light with fixtures unless you are able to hang them.

I would rather not hang them...but I could I suppose. Really hadnt given that option much thought. Thanks!

I would distribute your lighting evenly, as suggested above. Run 2 MH in the middle and then 4 T5s in the front and the back. Gives you more options in the long run. You could run short T5s in the front whcih would give you a cost savings. Good luck...love the island idea!

ankur1113;224238 wrote: I dont know about #2 since you will only have one sided shimmer(unless you are ok with it). If you do decide to go with retro then you put 2mh in middle and put 4 t5 in front and 4 in back. Icecap is coming out with plug and play retro this month sometime, they already have 48" out on market.

I am ok with the one sided shimmer. I was really just going to go all T-5s. For me the benefits of T-5 out weigh MH. The 3 biggies for me...
*Cooler (for the water and the room its in)
*Less power draw (electric bill)
*Bulbs dont have to be replaced as often ($$$)

But I would like to have a little shimmer. I thought this might be a unique way to have my cake...

option #2 would look terrible. The mh side would be much brighter, you'd be better off putting the mh in the center and putting the t5's around it.

btw, mh reflectors are very very light weight. You could probably hang them in your "canopy" without much of an issue (unless you made it out of balsa wood!)

Skriz;224270 wrote: option #2 would look terrible. The mh side would be much brighter, you'd be better off putting the mh in the center and putting the t5's around it.

What about with a 150w???

Skriz;224270 wrote: btw, mh reflectors are very very light weight. You could probably hang them in your "canopy" without much of an issue (unless you made it out of balsa wood!)

But wouldnt I need to supplement the MH with t5?? I just assumed I would need to constuct a framework with T5 retros as well. Otherwise yes...I guess I could somehow mount the reflectors to the canopy and mount the ballasts elsewhere...and be done!

With a 150w you wouldn't get the penetration you would absolutely need for clams. I think you should do two MH's (large ones) And T-5's around it for added color and PAR.

Steve;224568 wrote: With a 150w you wouldn't get the penetration you would absolutely need for clams. I think you should do two MH's (large ones) And T-5's around it for added color and PAR.

The 8 t5's are more than enough to support pretty much anything he wants to put in there.

theplatypus;224577 wrote: The 8 t5's are more than enough to support pretty much anything he wants to put in there.

For real?

Ok...help me out. 8x80 is only 640 watts. On a 175 tank thats not quite 4 watts per gallon. I thought I needed a lot more coconuts than that to reach the promised land. As Platy mentioned, I want to be able to support pretty much anything I want with T5 lighting. I just want a spot light shimmer on this little Island.

Still lookin for some luv!!!!

Does'nt anyone see my vision!!!!!

That "watts per gallon" isn't really a good measure anymore with of the advent of exceptional reflectors (for both MH and T5s).

You will be able to keep any higher light specimens you want under the T5s. If it was me, why not go with that and then add the MH you want. You can always pull it out of the system if it doesn't look as you thought it would. You're the one person that you need to be trying to please here (well except for maybe the wife!). Don't put this together for someone else. If you like the way it looks, that's all that matters.

mufret;224635 wrote: That "watts per gallon" isn't really a good measure anymore with of the advent of exceptional reflectors (for both MH and T5s).

You will be able to keep any higher light specimens you want under the T5s. If it was me, why not go with that and then add the MH you want. You can always pull it out of the system if it doesn't look as you thought it would. You're the one person that you need to be trying to please here (well except for maybe the wife!). Don't put this together for someone else. If you like the way it looks, that's all that matters.

Thanks!
Yeah, I know what I want. I see it! I just dont know if its possible. I guess part of the problem is I have no idea what its going to look like. I hate to toss that kind of jack around without some first hand knowledge of what MH can do. I have a T5 set up now. Maybe I should clamp a MH on and see if I can get the effect I want.

You don't have to nor need to supplement MH with T5's. I like the bluer look so I use bluer bulbs...no need for anything else.

Mike's right though, it only has to look good to you.

Back