Lighting for 4 ft tank options?

kodock

Supporting
Reaction score
I am trying to get some opinions on what lighting setup to put on my new red sea reefer 425xl.

I have had AI Hydra HD's and they were ok, extremely powerful, but color seemed to manuever between blue or white specifically.

I have a ocean revive on my other tank and get substantial growth. Acros are at least 1" a month and softies get about 1 new head or 1 new ricordia each month. I just wish it had more options or an app.

Anyway, I want something that is going to have balance and consistency.

Budget: 500-1000

2 or 3 Led's (OR, Radion, AI)

how many bulbs/wattage and what brand if I go t5 or t5 combo (ATI, Giess, etc)

What luck have any of you had on a 4' tank?

I wouldn't hesitate to go two ORs on a 4' tank. For the price they're a good option for me.

I run a Led / t5 hybrid setup.  I started out with a reefbreeder photon 48 and added a t5 retrofit kit and I couldn't be happier.

Thanks dan. Brett, do you have a retrofit setup or is it a prebuilt setup?

Hydra 26 HD x 2 are probably the best value. The coloration to the naked eye compare to the radion are relatively the same. Radions have the benefit of being able to be on Ecotech live. It’s more convienent to control my vectra, lights, and powerheads all in one ( vectra are not compatible with apex if you planned that route). But keep in mind that it requires a reef link. AI have the similar online control (I like it better because it’s wifi built in) . You can download schedule for both to me you’re needs and color preference.

2 x XR15 with mount is still around 800

2 x AI Hydra 26 HD with mount can be had for around 500-550ish

Honestly if you can’t grow things with one, you won’t hav better luck with other

Will 2 26's or xr30's cover enough surface area or PAR for SPS.

Seems like 3 would be need if it was not a t5/led hybrid.

I have had the best luck with the revives, but they dont fit on any retrofit kit that I see.

AI did have a great app

You will not have have proper coverage with 1 XR30. Your sides will be extremely dark. You will have better effect with 2 hydra 26 or 2 XR15. Ideally 3 would be nice but at 50% with either you should be able to grow 80-90% of all even on the sand bed... unless you just suck at sps lol

If you are using lights pump and return by Ecotech, do with radion XR 15s. If it’s just lighting, go with AI. I have 4 hydra 26 HDs if you need lol

Thanks dan. Brett, do you have a retrofit setup or is it a prebuilt setup?
I use 4 24" retrofit t5s mounted in my canopy ( 2 Coral + & 2 purple + bulbs) and a ReefBreeder Photon 48.

Eco, do you mean xr30's. Xr15's are single pucks. There is an aquatic life 48" retrofit kit that can hold 4 t5's.

I think I am going to use that and put 2 ocean revives modded to fit in the kit.

I would do hydra's but it be over my budget

Retrofit kit - $270

ATI 48" bulbs - 4 x $23=$92

2 ocean revives - $350-$400

+-$760

with hydra 26hd's = 350+350=$700

so, +-1060

You can probably do 2 hydra and the aquaticslife retro kit for under 800

I am in the process of setting up a 4 ft 150 so that is a 30inch deep tank and I am going to run 2 XR15 and 2 T5's If I am not getting enough light I will add 2 more t5's. I am upgrading from a 6 bulb T5 fixture. I see no reason why that won't reach my par goals to grow SPS.

BRS has had quite a few in the open box section go really cheap

My ReefBreeder Photon 48 will be up for sale in the next week. It has a new Led board and controller. :)

Hydra 26 HD x 2 are probably the best value. The coloration to the naked eye compare to the radion are relatively the same. Radions have the benefit of being able to be on Ecotech live. It’s more convienent to control my vectra, lights, and powerheads all in one ( vectra are not compatible with apex if you planned that route). But keep in mind that it requires a reef link. AI have the similar online control (I like it better because it’s wifi built in) . You can download schedule for both to me you’re needs and color preference.

2 x XR15 with mount is still around 800

2 x AI Hydra 26 HD with mount can be had for around 500-550ish

Honestly if you can’t grow things with one, you won’t hav better luck with other

The Hydra 26 HDs are the best buy for the money, but 2 of them won't do it on a 4 foot tank. I have had to supplement my lighting with T5's and a 3rd larger LED unit in the center to get proper light spread. Even with this I don't get enough light on my frag racks which are on the outside edge of the fixture's light footprint.

Back