Lighting for 90g mixed reef

kodock

Supporting
Reaction score
Bought a 90g and it came with an orbit marine PRO saltwater & orbit marine PRO freshwater light. I guess the guy was trying to hit all colors of the spectrum. However, I am about to jump head first into sps and I am worried that the light will not be strong enough to reach the lower ends of the tank at a 200-250 PAR in a wide enough circumference.

In other words, this is a thin lined LED, 1 is not enough by itself. If I place the freshwater light on as well, then I believe it will push the more important lighting forward and out of the nececessary area.

1)Does anyone have experience with flourishing SPS under Orbit PROs?

2)What light fixtures are honestly the best choice. I am not looking to fork out $1000 on radions.

3) I have heard better stories about t5 fixtures. Are there any more efficient alternative t5 fixture options?

Thanks again!

Unfortunately, the Marine Orbits are great for shallow water.  But, not very effective for tanks over 12" deep.  There are a  ton of led options out there. Here are the ones I use over my 48" frag tank.

http://reefradiance.com/starfire.html

Like Brett said, there are so many LED and other lighting options. It just depends on how much you want to spend IMO. I've got 2 AI Sol Super Blues and a pair of T5s on my 90g mixed reef. I like the color and get nice growth without any dosing. The older AI lights can be found at a decent priced used these days. From what I've read, the original Super Blues put out a lot of par even compared to newer LED technology.

All that being said about the AI Sols, I'm looking to move over to an ATI 6bulb T5 fixture in the future for my tank.

Truefully not much.  Like I mentioned they are great in a shallow water application.  But, in deeper water your par levels drop dramatically.

I like my Ocean Revive T247. Under $200 a piece and you'd  need 2 of them. On board controllers, look decent, come with mounting options. I ran one on my 93 cube without much going on around the perimeter. Now I've got it and a A360 on my 140g cube and I like it for the most part.

Ended up ordering 2 chinese black boxes - Viraspectras.

Let's hope the house doesn't catch on fire...

I would buy this with an LED if choice.  Maybe hydras or radions

https://premiumaquatics.com/products/aquaticlife-48-t5ho-hybrid-4lamp-mounting-system.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiA0vnQBRDmARIsAEL0M1lR8zTvd1UQqiEuo9aCTviWZ4NEP2YYc4vb97xdjdZ-J0-Zn4OtyuMaAjFpEALw_wcB

Back