Lighting for 92 Corner

circlek

Market
Reaction score
I'm just about finished building the stand/canopy for a 92 corner, and am starting to think about lighting.

I was thinking of a single 250 watt HQI pendant in the center of the canopy, surrounded by a "triangle" of 3 24" T5's for supplemental lighting.

What do y'all think about this? Enough light?

I'm not planning on having a chiller because space under a corner tank is limited, so I have to balance light needs with heat. I do plan on ventilating the canopy with fans.

I plan on stocking the tank as a mixed reef. I would like the option of keeping a BTA and a clam.

Karl

I have the 92G corner and I installed modified Aquamedic light fixtures.

I have a 400Watt DE 10K MH (at the back) and a Dual 250Watt DE 10K MH with Dual t5 Actinics (at the front)

Yeah Yeah I know, I run high lighting, but I do have SPS. I prefer to be at 10Watts per gallon. (400+2x250+2xt5's=1000watt div 92 = +-10watts/gallon)

You can come around to see if you wish.

If ya want to go with 2- 250's let me know... I am selling a 2x250 retro, they have seperate ballasts. I have them in a single homeade reflector box, you could always pick up a couple good reflectors and split them if ya like... Asking $125 for reflector, ballasts, sockets, and 2 used (6mo) bulbs, one bulb is a 10K the other is a 20k...

Simon:

Wow! That's alot of light. How are your tank temps?

Chicago:

Thanks for the heads up. I'll let you know.

Karl

Here is minireefer03's tank and stand. PM him on his lighting set up. It looks like the sun is in his hood!
Crnrfinished.jpg
alt="" />

FamilyReefer,

My thanks to you for your earlier thread about the 92 corner stand build. I used it for inspiration and built something similar. However, my stand is going to be painted, which is a good thing because caulk and wood filler hide many mistakes. You are obviously much more skilled than I if you can build something like that stain grade.

I'll try to get in touch with minireefer regarding his setup.

Thanks!

Karl

Believe me....I have had to do my share of painting for the same reasons!!!lol
It just takes lots and lots of projects. Each one seems to be better than the last. I look forward to the time when I will have the time to build more. I have several ideas for stands and hoods that just wouldn't fit in with my decor. I plan on building them for my pleasure and selling them locally to whomever likes the look. I want to incorporate some ceramic tile inlays...maybe some hammered copper (sealed of course) Just things like that. Maybe when I am teaching full time( Hopefully next school year) I will have the time in the evenings.

Circlek : I have a 1/2hp chiller so its stable at 78F. I also have a 600G sump which helps. Sump and chiller is my avatar.

Gott im Himmel, that's nice. It's also the first tank I've ever seen or heard of with a sump/fuge not just bigger than the display tank, but bigger by more than 6x... What made you choose to do it this way (don't mind me, I always ask lots of questions... I drove my parents crazy as a child)?

no issue. questions are good. its simple, dilution is the solution. i really do like the 92 corner so thats why i bought it. the sump well i am lazy so i wanted it big enough to work on.

getting back to the purpose of this thread i say the 92 is one or the hardest aquariums to light. if i had my time again i would go with a single 1000watt MH.

siege, pm me and we can talk verbatum on why i did it this way.

Back