Lighting for a 125g

cmjazz89

Market
Reaction score
I'm upgrading to a 125g tank and can't decide on the lighting. I'm looking to start keeping SPS, but it's going to be mainly a mixture of sofies and SPS. I'm looking at 2 - 36" Nova Extreme T-5 Fixtures or 1 - 72" 250W Outer Orbit Pro Series HQI/T-5/LED fixture, or go for the Solaris 72" 250W G-series fixture. I can't decide, would love solaris, just not sure if I can justify it. Any suggestions?

there is this light on craigslist.com for 350 72inch 3 150w mh and some other supplemental. i think it is an orbit.

Then I would consider going with an all T5 retrofit kit. The advantages are that it's cooler the MH's and gives you more flexibility to "customize your color" by swapping out a few bulbs to get the exact look you're looking for. The retrofits are preferable over the fixtures b/c the reflectors are much better. Take a look at the new TEK II reflectors. You might be able to fit 10 to 12 36" bulbs under there.

Bryan,
have you seen these?
UltraLux 6-Lamp T5 Fixtures
http://www.fullspectrumsolutions.com/commercial_lighting_fixtures_35_ctg.htm?sc_cid=ggl0100701&s_kwcid=t5%20lighting|402614656&gclid=CJGewp3Gzo4CFRSxgAod03A_8g">http://www.fullspectrumsolutions.com/commercial_lighting_fixtures_35_ctg.htm?sc_cid=ggl0100701&s_kwcid=t5%20lighting|402614656&gclid=CJGewp3Gzo4CFRSxgAod03A_8g</a>
[/B]

cmjazz;80585 wrote: Bryan,
have you seen these?
UltraLux 6-Lamp T5 Fixtures
http://www.fullspectrumsolutions.com/commercial_lighting_fixtures_35_ctg.htm?sc_cid=ggl0100701&s_kwcid=t5%20lighting|402614656&gclid=CJGewp3Gzo4CFRSxgAod03A_8g">http://www.fullspectrumsolutions.com/commercial_lighting_fixtures_35_ctg.htm?sc_cid=ggl0100701&s_kwcid=t5%20lighting|402614656&gclid=CJGewp3Gzo4CFRSxgAod03A_8g</a>[/B]
[/QUOTE]

Cheap, but seems wierd. They don't supply all the information you need. For example, for the 6 bulb fixture they state that the ballast uses only 280 watts- that's only 46.6 watts per bulb. A 48" bulb uses 54 watts, and a 36" bulb uses 39 watts. Maybe it's a 36" fixture, and the extra watts are losses due to the ineffeciency of the ballast, but I thought most industrial fixtures were 48" long. Also, chances are the reflector is white and not effecient. You could replace the reflector, though. I would call them up and ask some questions first, but it seems like it might be a good deal.

That's what I thought, but with a little modding, it might be worth it. Just depends on that ballast and reflectors. I'll give them a call later today, see what they say.

SO far there some interesting info on VHO:

<span style="font-family: Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif;"><span style="color: #ffff00;">
smswtlips.jpg
alt="" /> VHO Fluorescent</span>

<span style="font-size: 12px;">VHO is short for "very high output." These bulbs operate in the same way as regular fluorescent bulbs, except that the ballasts that power these lamps apply more electrical current to the lamp, and some brands of VHO lamps employ more phosphors in their operation. Typically, a VHO bulb produces twice the output in lumens as a regular fluorescent bulb. They also tend to burn twice as hot as regular fluorescents, although some new VHO electronic ballasts allow the lamp to operate at cooler temperatures. <span style="font-family: Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif;"><span style="color: #ffffff;">It has been our experience that VHO lamps seem to degrade faster than normal fluorescents in terms of a ratio of output in lux over time when measured underwater with a light meter.</span></span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif;"><span style="font-family: Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif;"><span style="color: #ffff00;">What we mean by this is that we have measured</span> a faster reduction in intensity over time for VHO lamps compared to when the lamp was new than what we've measured for normal fluorescent lamps. </span><span style="font-size: 12px;">We base our opinions on our observations. What we have observed is that in VHO-lit reef aquariums, some hard corals begin to close slightly and algae growth is retarded after about four months. We change the bulbs, and the animals and algae spring back to life! That simply doesn't happen as often in the reef aquariums we maintain which use metal halide and/or Power Compact lamps. Therefore, for reef aquariums that employ VHO lamps, we recommend changing these bulbs two to three times a year in order to maintain the overall health of the environment. </span></span> <span style="font-size: 12px;"><span style="font-family: Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif;"><span style="color: #ffff00;">The other problem we have encountered with VHO lighting</span> is that for some reason (we don't know why), VHO lighting ballasts seem to fail more often than any other lighting ballast we've used, and we've used hundreds! This seems to be especially true of the newer, electronic ballasts that are being sold these days. We consider VHO lighting systems to be expensive in terms of bulb-replacement, and in our experience, subject to ballast failure. We do know that IceCap®, a major manufacturer of VHO ballasts, has made great strides in developing electronic ballast technology that promises to considerably extend bulb life, so we haven't given up completely on VHO. VHO still holds one advantage over their competitor, Power Compact lamps, in that the lamps distribute light better over a greater area.</span> </span>

The downside of using VHO bulbs is they that need to be replaced more often. Albert Thiel states in his Marine Fish and Invert Reef Aquarium</em> book,
12.html"><span style="color:

What is the downside to T5's? Last night I believe speaker was saying they have low PAR output.

I had VHO lit tanks for around 10 years. I have to dissagree on the ballast comment, the brands I used were very reliable and cool running. IMO, you can't beat VHO for Actinics. Now the UV lighting makes T5 bulbs, I suspect you could get the same results with T5, I haven't tried that many brands and types of T5 bulbs. I also ran a system with power compacts as well. My current system uses T5s and 250W HQI. If it were me, I would get the 250W MH setup. More bang for your buck over the LED systems plus I personally think MH still has the edge over flourescent of any type. I believe that the high intensity, single point source of light that MH provides more closely resembles the sun and provides better results. Just my $.02...

Back