Lighting for a Solana 34

izoid

Market
Reaction score
I have a Solana 34, 20" x 20" x 20". I am going to use t as a mixed reef with only high end corals, I want it to be a showpiece tank. I need a good light for it and am having some trouble deciding what to get. I am thinking of either a 150 watt MH or a T5 setup. I would need to go with a 24" T5 fixture so I am not sure on that as I think it may look odd.

What suggestions do you have? What MH setup is highly regarded for a tank of this size?

I have considered LED but I really am not convinced about them. I know some people have very good results but others have poor results. I tried them for a short time and some of my high light corals browned within a week, back under T5's and those same corals have already colored up in less than a week.

I have a Solana, I'm using a LED fixture over mine. I have friends using the same fixtures and they are experiencing excellent results.

The disco ball is horrid in design. I used it briefly and was very I satisfied with the results in growth and color ( used. Phoenix 14k) . The spread was terrible. The center of the tank was ok, but moving outwards it killed any light, in turn kill growth and color. I switch over to the ati and couldn't be more happy

Edit: On top of everything . Rigging moon lights with the ball was near impossible

I debated the same question as I set up my 30 gallon cube. It is 20 inches as well. After a lot of consideration I went with led. I do understand your reservation. On my search I found Current makes a pro series fixture 6 x 18watt t5ho fixture that is 20 inches.
Hard to find a used one but I did find it new for $230

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Thanh...do you hang your ATI? How does the 24" fixture look above a 20" tank?

I have only had it for a week so far so good I really like the color.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120W-Aquarium-Coral-Reef-Tank-White-Blue-LED-Grow-Light-BLACK-Acquarium-LED-/200709101252?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ebb31d6c4">http://www.ebay.com/itm/120W-Aquarium-Coral-Reef-Tank-White-Blue-LED-Grow-Light-BLACK-Acquarium-LED-/200709101252?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ebb31d6c4</a>

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Lumenarc stealth mini w/ a 250W phoenix is what I had over my solana. I actually have one in the closet if you're interested. Just need a bulb and ballast.
Skimmercover1.jpg
alt="" />

I had a 20" 250w sunpod over mine. Worked very good. I still have it if your interested, has a 14k phoenix and 2 stunner strips mounted on it

MvM;740867 wrote: Lumenarc stealth mini w/ a 250W phoenix is what I had over my solana. I actually have one in the closet if you're interested. Just need a bulb and ballast.
Skimmercover1.jpg
alt="" />

I am setting up a 30 cube and was thinking about a 250 MH for lighting. Was water temp ever an issue?

I ran a small chiller, but it rarely kicked on, even being set at 77.

The 24 inches never bother me nor anyone that came by. I had it mounted 6 inches up against the wall.

I have Robb's black box and the unit rocks. In my bio cube 29. Clam and sps on the floor

ive got a lumenmax 2 (250w) with a Phoenix 14k over my solana. great colors, no heat issue from light with a galaxy ballast. I agree, disco ball has a subpar reflector

cbj25;741000 wrote: ive got a lumenmax 2 (250w) with a Phoenix 14k over my solana. great colors, no heat issue from light with a galaxy ballast. I agree, disco ball has a subpar reflector

How high above your tank is your light mounted?

no more than 6" above the surface of the water. tank set steady at 80 all summer

Back