Lighting Help

Treylipp

Market
Reaction score
So I have a 25 gal peninsula waterbox and currently looking to upgrade from one kessil A80 would you go to two 160s or one 360?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forgot to mention I have mostly sps a few oddball lps. I just want all and any corals i pick up in the future to thrive.

Forgot to mention I have mostly sps a few oddball lps. I just want all and any corals i pick up in the future to thrive.

^^ sorry had it in reverse have a ton of lps and a few sps

You're certainly looking at good lights. I would go with the 2 160s. I was in the same boat with Radion selection and ends up going with two of the XR15s over one XR30. The price was the same and I like having a bit more flexibility. Plus, if one of them goes down, I still have a lit tank while I figure out what my next step is. I'm an not a Kessil guy so it's possible there is some additional difference between the two but if it's a simple question of 2 vs 1, I personally went with 2.

You're certainly looking at good lights. I would go with the 2 160s. I was in the same boat with Radion selection and ends up going with two of the XR15s over one XR30. The price was the same and I like having a bit more flexibility. Plus, if one of them goes down, I still have a lit tank while I figure out what my next step is. I'm an not a Kessil guy so it's possible there is some additional difference between the two but if it's a simple question of 2 vs 1, I personally went with 2.

Thanks man! Sounds like a pretty similar predicament, same price for 2v1 but if one goes down that’s a great point!

And it does give you a bit more future flexibility. Radion, AI and Kessil all have great reputations and hold their value pretty well. I've considered upgrading to the Radion G5s and would put one of the XR15s on my frag tank and sell the other one.

The only thing I would like to add is that I don't know a ton about what Kessil has to offer. In the case of Radions, they really are the same basic lights but I'm not certain when it comes to Kessil. I did have a Kessil for a few months when I bought a complete system and really liked it but that's the limit of my personal experience with the brand.

Back