Lighting help!!!

Dmac

Market
Reaction score
I've got a standard 120 tank. I'm currently running two Kessil a360x's along with two orphek 90s. I just don't feel like this light setup is getting it done for the SPS I want to keep. I can never run my Kessils above 75 to 80% because they start to overheat. The problem is that for now I'm restricted to about a 7 inch mounting height inside my canopy. Other than the Kessils, does anybody have any other lights mounted this low that will work for SPS?

7” is tough to work with. You could do a combo of DIY T5 reflectors mounted inside the canopy and orphek or reefbrite strips. That would be pretty low profile. Either way with 7” I think you’re going to run a fan inside the canopy.

Not that I've noticed. I've never seen them shut off or anything

Is that 7" above the tank or above the water surface?

Have you taken PAR readings?

What about adding 1 or two more A360x's and running them at a lower setting, 60-65%?

7 inches above the surface. I could probably squeeze eight with a thinner light

I did have some par readings taken a few months ago. I was somewhere around 200 just above the middle of the tank. I thought about adding more, but honestly I don't know if I want to invest that much more into the kessil brand. Also, I've got a center brace on my tank so a third one would only help me on one side of the tank

Yeah, I'm not sure I'd want to run Kessil's that close to the water. Even with netting over a tank fish will cause splashing at the surface getting water on them.

I am not recommending Radion's but I'd look into lights that we laid out like that. Flat glass covered panel with no fan on the bottom where the leds are. The Orphek Atlantik Compact V4 are on sale but you may get some light bleed through the glass. You could also add more led bars mixing up the types.

To go another route it might be best to consider losing the canopy or fabricating a bottom box that will sit on the tank to raise it up some.

I thought about the led bars too, although I was concerned about adding more heat. Shoulda gone with the rimless,smh

I ordered 2 Noopsyche k7 v3 and 2 48” day plus OR 3 for my 120. Kind of excited about this setup. It will be in a Canopy as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought about the led bars too, although I was concerned about adding more heat. Shoulda gone with the rimless,smh
A few carefully placed holes drilled in the canopy and there won't be any heat issues no matter what lighting you decide to go with. Well halides excluded...

Two or three in the back at or above the lights and an exhaust hole in the top that you can attach a fan to and push the air out.

I've got a couple holes in the back but I think you're right about needing one in the top as well. Anybody have a recommendation for a simple fan to install?

I ordered 2 Noopsyche k7 v3 and 2 48” day plus OR 3 for my 120. Kind of excited about this setup. It will be in a Canopy as well.

How high do the noopsyche have to be mounted?

I've got a couple holes in the back but I think you're right about needing one in the top as well. Anybody have a recommendation for a simple fan to install?
If you have an Apex with an EB832 or a 1-Link you could wire one of these to it.
If 4.75" is a bigger hole than you want to cut/drill you could go with one of these at a a little less than 3.25"

There's a lot more options with a little searching too.

Those noops are tempting. I like the idea of not having to crack open my piggy bank if I need to replace a light

I’ve got v 2 over my 60 and doing a great job. The v3 have more power and improved color so I’ve been told.

Back