lighting help

demifelix

Market
Reaction score
Ok, I'm going to be honest here. I have been thinking way too much about what kind of lighting to use on my 180, and the more I think about it the more I'm confused. I originally planned on continuing to use my 3 MH 250, but then heat issue always bothers me. LED looks flexible, but I'm not quite convince to spend $1500 on radions. What are my options? I really need help here. Been reading forums and everything and still not decided. I plan to keep mixed reef.

I'd use the mh if you already have them. Solid proven light for sps and @ 250's you shouldn't have hest issues.

Personally, I run three eBay led boxes ($75ea) and four 80w t5 tubes over my 210gal. Gets the job done without issue.

I'm not a fan of dropping huge coin for "high-end" leds as the cheap boxes get the job done just as well imo. Some people prefer to spend more than necessary though.

demifelix;1047348 wrote: Ok, I'm going to be honest here. I have been thinking way too much about what kind of lighting to use on my 180, and the more I think about it the more I'm confused. I originally planned on continuing to use my 3 MH 250, but then heat issue always bothers me. LED looks flexible, but I'm not quite convince to spend $1500 on radions. What are my options? I really need help here. Been reading forums and everything and still not decided. I plan to keep mixed reef.

most or some LFS use cheap 120w/165w leds. so dont let the price of 1500 make you believe its the deciding factor into getting growth or color.. just a newbs opinion. im getting growth and color with my ebay leds. $80 bucks.. (i only have a 36g).

I am a big fan of combo lighting. I'm still accumulating equipment (and a tank!) for my next build which I plan to light with halides and LEDs. I think halides going down the center of the tank with a "build my LED" strip (or the like) at the front and rear of the tank would look pretty sleek and provide ample lighting. Supplementing the halide with led (or even T5s) allows you to drop the wattage on the halide bulb and avoid some of the extra heat.

I have expensive LEDs I Could of saved a lot of money if I would of went with a cheaper alternative with similar results

DavidinGA;1047349 wrote: I'd use the mh if you already have them. Solid proven light for sps and @ 250's you shouldn't have hest issues.

Personally, I run three eBay led boxes ($75ea) and four 80w t5 tubes over my 210gal. Gets the job done without issue.

I'm not a fan of dropping huge coin for "high-end" leds as the cheap boxes get the job done just as well imo. Some people prefer to spend more than necessary though.

Did you use a retro fit type add on for the t5s and what color combo did you choose.

Take a look at the reefbreeders or reef radiance LEDs. They are much more affordable and at least the reefbreeders are proven to have what it takes to light up a mixed reef. I've run with the Reefbreeders since day one (2 years) and have experienced amazing growth and color. Although, I would suspect that running with mixed lighting would be ideal if you are able to pull it off.

I've ran mh, t5's, and leds. Nothing makes corals grow more than mh. I don't think you'll find anyone that runs radions at 100% either. Why pay for the extra power of you can't use it without bleaching your corals out. Mh with t5's for blue light is the best for growth.

The hardest thing in the hobby is the initial hump... my tank was LED-lit from day one, but that was due to not already having anything as well as the technical considerations. If you already have reef-capable lighting, you should use it so that your later upgrades can be based more on experience and intent.

Plus a lot of the tanks I've seen that run hybrid lighting (LED + T5, or MH) just seem to be more vibrant than either solo.

I've been from one end to the other. I started with MH only then went to MH/T5. After that I pulled the MH and replaced with black box LED's & T5 then I went full out LED only. Now I'm back to LED/T5/MH combo. Of all the setups, I think the LED Only provided the worst color and growth of any of the combinations. I've seen better color and growth with the 3-way combo.

Whoever says that MH won't cause a heat issue has apparently never run MH or keeps their house at 69 degrees. I had no heat issues on my 180 until I put the MH's back online. Now I had to put a chiller in the system. Albeit, I keep the house at 76.

I run a MH/T5 combo on my reef that I love. I cannot say it is the only thing. There is just to much data and there are to many amazing reef tanks to prove me wrong. With either I'd suggest the same thing. Pick one, start slow and stick with it. If you already have MH then that may be your answer. I have a bc14 that I have LEDs on. It has been a hard learning curve and I still not happy with it. Maybe look at what corals you like and what color you like to see. As an example. if you really like the blue light glow in the dark look, then LEDs are for you. There are other examples.

Thanks for all the inputs guys. Yes my original plan was to keep my MH, but then heat is always the issue, and if I put a fan over the top of the tank then evaporation will be an issue. I think that's the only other downside to MH besides the fact that it consumes more power itself and with the chiller running. I'm leaning towards LEDs because I saw some great looking tanks with LEDs and I just wish my tank can look that nice.

So, if I'm keeping my MH, what's the best way to supplement actinic? Blue LED strips running along the sides?

<span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana">I continue to hear nothing but good things about the Radions. I plan on getting some for my 180. They are expensive as hell but they have some awesome features. I think saw that BRS has them for 10% off until the 31st, and if you buy a LED light you can get the reef link 50% off.</span></span>
<span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana">I have also been told Ecotech customer service is outstanding. Premium price for a premium product and company. Im looking forward to getting my set</span></span>

JBDreefs;1047351 wrote: I am a big fan of combo lighting. I'm still accumulating equipment (and a tank!) for my next build which I plan to light with halides and LEDs. I think halides going down the center of the tank with a "build my LED" strip (or the like) at the front and rear of the tank would look pretty sleek and provide ample lighting. Supplementing the halide with led (or even T5s) allows you to drop the wattage on the halide bulb and avoid some of the extra heat.

+1

Agree and very happy with my combo lighting. Keep the MH just use lower wattage and add one Radion :)

I've got a Radion in the center with Zoas and LPS under it and 2- Phoenix 175 W one on each side (SPS higher on the sides).
No heat issues with the 2-175's running 7 hours a day after I got rid of my Mag 9.5 :)
However I do have a fan in the top of my canopy to export heat and another over my sump that come on if the temp &gt; 80.5.

For night viewing I've got Panorama Strips in back, 48" "DIY" blues in front with Radion blasting blue throughout...

The DIY is a 48" waterproof Autozone light $25 and kicks all others I've seen. I wired it to a transformer (5 minutes) and control all blue LEDS on same APEX outlet.

If you decide to go this route, I've got a box full of transformers and adapters (cheap).

I use the WMX and 2 MP10's. I've had all my Echotech equipment for over 3 years and their CS is EXCELLENT. Couldn't ask for better, IMO.

Camellia;1047439 said:
+1

The DIY is a 48" waterproof Autozone light $25 and kicks all others I've seen. I wired it to a transformer (5 minutes) and control all blue LEDS on same APEX outlet.

If you decide to go this route, I've got a box full of transformers and adapters (cheap).

QUOTE]

Great Idea. I have worked with LEDstrips from amazon and am thinking of setting something up for my refug.

Camellia;1047439 wrote: +1

Agree and very happy with my combo lighting. Keep the MH just use lower wattage and add one Radion :)

I've got a Radion in the center with Zoas and LPS under it and 2- Phoenix 175 W one on each side (SPS higher on the sides).
No heat issues with the 2-175's running 7 hours a day after I got rid of my Mag 9.5 :)
However I do have a fan in the top of my canopy to export heat and another over my sump that come on if the temp &gt; 80.5.

For night viewing I've got Panorama Strips in back, 48" "DIY" blues in front with Radion blasting blue throughout...

I use the WMX and 2 MP10's. I've had all my Echotech equipment for over 3 years and their CS is EXCELLENT. Couldn't ask for better, IMO.

sounds like a good idea. can you please post a pic of it? I went to Autozone.com but I saw different kinds. If I go this route I'll definitely be interested in your transformers and adapters for sure. Thanks.

FF337;1047360 wrote: Did you use a retro fit type add on for the t5s and what color combo did you choose.
Yeah I'm running three eBay boxes in the middle and two 80w tubes on either side. Right now I'm using 2 C+ and 2 B+ tubes, but I think I will add a purple+ to replace one of the B+ because it's too blue for my tastes right now...

My T5's are LET brand retro kits that use ati reflectors and ballast (HEP).

b58d30a7c665cd74826614c0a7383644.jpg
alt="" />

demifelix;1047693 wrote: are you getting good growth with these lights combo David?
Yeah I seem to be getting good growth and color. Much better now, than when I was only running leds that's for sure.

DavidinGA;1047349 wrote: I'd use the mh if you already have them. Solid proven light for sps and @ 250's you shouldn't have hest issues.

+1

I run almost the exact same setup, get the best of both worlds and a pretty cool sunrise/sunset affect if you time everything correctly.

Back