Lighting help

sstraub5150

Market
Reaction score
I have a 24 nano setup with a 150 watt sunpod metal halide. My question is I also have a 70 watt halide and was wondering if I could use both lights and if so is that too much light?

Too much!

Not only would it be difficult to fire them both over the tank, but it would create heat issues. Stick with the 150 with a good bulb and you can keep anything as far as coral goes.

so, what restaraunt do you manage? :D

Skriz;193435 wrote: Too much!

Not only would it be difficult to fire them both over the tank, but it would create heat issues. Stick with the 150 with a good bulb and you can keep anything as far as coral goes.

so, what restaraunt do you manage? :D
I'm a GM of a Krystal.

wow skirz, im surprised you disagree, in order to keep any kind of coral "primarily sps" you should have about 5 to 7 watts per gallon.

na, you can't determine your lighting on wpg..if so, I would need well over 3000 watts of lighting. I have half that amount and get phenomenol growth.

The wattage you need is better gauged by the depth of your tank. The shallower (is that a real word?) the tank, the less punch you need. In a 24g nano, a 150w iwasaki would be awesome! You could have brilliant growth and colouration with that light.

I had a 29g with a 250w mh and I had heat/evap issues, so the 24g will definately have issues.

chrisjet;193441 wrote: wow skirz, im surprised you disagree, in order to keep any kind of coral "primarily sps" you should have about 5 to 7 watts per gallon.
I have acros, pocillepora, and 8 clams. 150 is plenty of watts?

give it a shot, if it was me i would hook up both lights, and have a fan going over the top , also add an ATO. Just experiment with both - use the 150 for 2 months and then add the 70 for 2 months, i still believe you will get better growth with the 2 - of course it will look janky unless you are creative.

here's a couple of photos:
009.jpg
alt="" />

005.jpg
alt="" />

sstraub5150;193446 wrote: I have acros, pocillepora, and 8 clams. 150 is plenty of watts?

:eek: 8 CLAMS????

You are going to need a MONSTER calcium reactor to keep up with those guys. That is waaaaay too many clams for a 24g tank!

Calcium is under control. I like clams. I had 13 in my 10 gallon at one point and my acros and pocilleporas grew like crazy. The gigas is the only one I worry about.

sstraub5150;193453 wrote: Calcium is under control. I like clams. I had 13 in my 10 gallon at one point and my acros and pocilleporas grew like crazy. The gigas is the only one I worry about.

wow, how are you doing that? That's awesome!

Back to lighting...150w is more than fine. What bulb are you running?

Skriz;193455 wrote: wow, how are you doing that? That's awesome!

Back to lighting...150w is more than fine. What bulb are you running?
I do kalkwasser drips 3 times a week and use walt smith fiji gold. I use a 14k bulb.

If you are looking for more par, instead of wasting you money on the second light, just get the best bulb you can for the current 150w..cheaper and will work better

Skriz;193459 wrote: If you are looking for more par, instead of wasting you money on the second light, just get the best bulb you can for the current 150w..cheaper and will work better
I already have a 70w that was on my 10 gallon. Thats why I was asking.

with that calcium load, you could save some money by using pool calcium. It works as good as kent turbo calcium just alot cheaper. Also despite what dawgdude says 5 to 7 watts per gallon is just about right.

chrisjet;193462 wrote: with that calcium load, you could save some money by using pool calcium. It works as good as kent turbo calcium just alot cheaper. Also despite what dawgdude says 5 to 7 watts per gallon is just about right.
Oh I'm not done. I plan on getting more clams and more acros. The ones I got 2 weeks ago are growing. I only have 2 fish so the waste load is very light. here's another good photo:
006.jpg
alt="" />

wow, looks great! I hope to get a clam , but i hear they are hard to keep?

Back