Lighting ideas for Frag

jeep9783

Market
Reaction score
I am purchaseing a 16.5X14.25X7.5 frag tank (7gallons I beleave) Has no lip or center brace just a custom acyrlic tank...wanting to do just sps frags...what are my lighting options with this? Obviously it dosent have to be a monster halide (7 inches tall) or an t5ho overdriven...just looking for opinions to have a really nice small setup for sps frags...I am into the 15k+range as far as looks but other than that i am pretty open for ideas

Chris

Are those current powerbrite systems ok...say if i had maybe 4 of them...idk...i know with a small setup i maybe able to afford to play with leds...I may be getting in over my head on that though...don't know how you really compare leds to t5's and mh though...as in watt comparison/lumens etc

I've seen pics of the Viper on a 3gallon pico...

It can be raised above the tank a considerable amount. You said you were wanting to grow SPS frags, that would do it. Are you going to be plumbing this tank into your main system? It'd make it easier to maintain water quality.

Yes this little tank will be running off my main system...raising the total water volume from 100gallons to a wopping 107 gallons..lol

Ok i am ordering the k2 viper 70w Unles someone on here has one used for the tank...tooo scared to try led's...any one used this bulb before or seen any reviews as far as growing sps and color in 7inch frag tank?
70W-20K-Ushio-HQI-Double-Ended-Metal-Halide-lamp_W0QQitemZ260397202047QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0

Yea i know...I think that this light is just the easiest and cheapest alternative...I can't see myself spending 800 dollars for lights for a 7 gallon tank...but has anyone used the 70w ushio 20k before?

I thought the 20k bulbs were more for color while the 10k bulbs were for growth? Or do I have that backwards?

No you are right but i fig there may be enough par being only 7 inches...that is the question that i am trying to get answered

Back