Lighting issues...

taftonomos

Market
Reaction score
75 AGA

I'm running 2 lumenarc reflectors w/250's.

While it's all the light the tank needs.....my eyes need some actinics in there.

Problem is, there really isn't space as the reflectors are huge (almost 18" across).

Will going to a 20K 250watt bulb give me the actinic I want, or am I destined to change the setup to some "normal" pendant/reflectors and a few VHO's?

I even thought about somehow putting a "all in one" strip in there with 2x250's and VHO's if it would fit in the canopy.

Thoughts?

Most if not all 20k lamp's will reduce your par tremendously. You could find a 14-15k lamp or even a Reeflux 12k might do the trick.

I found the 250 Phoenix (only available in double ended)has more par then the reeflux and has real nice color. The reeflux was visually not as bright as well.

I really like the Phoenix and will keep running it until radium makes a double ended 250. They already have a 150 watt version.

Joe

You have the Phoenix 14k? Im about to buy one of those for my Aquamedic Pendant.

I've got the XM 10K's.

After searching and searching, I found that you need to turn the bulbs a certain way. I played with them over the course of last week, and finally got something white out of them.

I have a 2 bulb "credit" with XM, so If I change spectrum, it'd need to be 20k's. I hear their 20k's have higher par than their 15k's do.

46bfinga;208895 wrote: You have the Phoenix 14k? Im about to buy one of those for my Aquamedic Pendant.

Yes they are the one's you saw over the small tank.

Joe

On a 75g, the lumenarcs are way overkill and you would probably gain by "down sizing" to the minis. At only 14" square, they'd also give you a bit of room to add some supplemental lighting. If you have to use the credit, definitely go with the XM 20k over the XM 15k. The XM 15k while having decent color are "dull" and significantly lacking when it comes to PAR.

Every 14,000k bulb I've tested has been lower in PAR than a 20,000k. It's always pretty close, though. Neither even comes close to the 10,000k.

The ushio/blv 14k has good par, but it's not blue like a reeflux 12k or any 20k bulb. It's more like the 10k with a hint of actinic (it actually has a high spike of actinic, but lacks the blue colouration). (I've only tested the 400w)

the xm 20k is a nice bulb with good par.

Back