Lighting mature SPS

circlek

Market
Reaction score
This tank has been running several years now, and some of my SPS colonies are so large that their shading really limits coral placement in the rest of the tank.

Obviously I could prune them more aggressively, but I'm exploring other lighting options.

Currently the 5' tank is lit by 4 DIY LED arrays. Has anyone used spot sources like Kessils and angled them in an attempt to light areas beneath large SPS colonies, or does the light just "scatter" when it hits the surface of the water preventing one from focusing the light on a particular area?

Just curious if anyone has experimented with this.

KarlIMG_0694.jpgIMG_0691.jpgIMG_0692.jpg

This is a very real problem, but god it is a great one to have! Great job on the tank and being able to do what it takes to get to this stage. I'm following along to find out if someone has a great answer.

I agree. It's a nice problem to have :).

@anit77 uses kessils in this manner that you describe to help with shading issues. If I recall correctly I think he found that going with t5 supplementation made a much bigger difference.

T5 is proven to put out a blanket of light that covers pretty well. Why not add some t5 bulbs in the mix?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll think about using T5's. My tank has a brace in the center, so I imagine I would have to use multiple fixtures.

Do you think it would be better to put T5's the long direction in front and back, with LED's in the center, or vice versa?

I have Halides as my main lights and LED strips on the outside edges of the tank angled in for exactly that reason. You might get the effect you want just by changing you lighting arrangement by rotating them 90 degrees and putting two flat along the back and two on the front angled toward the back.

I have Halides as my main lights and LED strips on the outside edges of the tank angled in for exactly that reason. You might get the effect you want just by changing you lighting arrangement by rotating them 90 degrees and putting two flat along the back and two on the front angled toward the back.

This might work too. It’d definitely be cheaper to just move what you have and see if there is a visible difference.

I'll think about using T5's. My tank has a brace in the center, so I imagine I would have to use multiple fixtures.

Do you think it would be better to put T5's the long direction in front and back, with LED's in the center, or vice versa?

What is the top dimensions? Front to back? My first thought was to put 5 fixtures, one on each end and one in between each led fixture, it might be better to rotate your leds and run 3 fixtures the length of the tank.

Yes, I use a couple A160WE's to help with the shading of the center braces. While I surely don't have a problem with the corals being that big, beautiful colonies btw, I think T5's whould help.

I haven't used halides but I know they work. T5's just have a form factor that works for me. I have two dual bulb retrofits over my tank, one front & one back. The tank is 72" long and the T5's are 80w 60". When they're on you can't see any visible shading from the braces and they blanket the tank 8n light.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It's a custom tank so the dimensions are non-standard. 60" wide, 30 " front to back, and 28" deep.

I like the idea of rotating the existing lighting. Seems like I should try that first since it doesn't cost anything. Then I can look at supplementing based on the results of the rotation.

Thanks for all the great ideas!

With my 4’ center overflow, I used 2 75w MH with a Radion in the middle angled slightly down in the front. My SPS LOVED it and grew great around the sides and back of overflow.
Also had LED strips along the front of the tank angled inward.
Loved that tank :(

I use T5's to supplement my Radions. Seems to work pretty well. Amazing colonies by the way. Beautiful.

Back