Lighting opinion

tchristman

Market
Reaction score
The construction is going well. Glass has been ordered for the new tank. Drywall is going in tomorrow on the basement and I am still fighting over the lights for the new system.

The tank is 96 x 36 x 29.

I am debating between using my 3 existing 250 DE Lumen Max 3 reflectors and adding a 4th one. This is the least expensive option. I currently run Phoenix 14k bulbs with success. I lose dusk/dawn as I do not see any reasonable way to use my retro T5s in the in wall since there is not anywhere to mount them without building something above the tank. I am not real interested in building above the tank. Hanging yes but building no.

Another option would be to add all T5 lighting. Obviously this would be fairly expensive and annual bulb costs would be high. I am looking at the ATI SunPower fixtures. Easy to hang and great output. I am debating between 4 of the 4 bulb fixtures or 2 4 bulb fixtures and 2 6 bulb fixtures. Either a total of 16 or 20 bulbs. I like T5 because of the even light patterns and great colors.

The last option is LED. The most expensive initial cost most likely and the newest form of lighting. I have read some great things and some bad things and all of the professional lighting people all have the same opinions that bulb life is slightly if not greatly overrated. The LED may need to be wait and see. In another two years they may have it more improved.

I would love to hear opinions and get some more feedback on what you would do given these three options. If you have a recommendation from experience of certain fixtures or pendants I would love to hear them.

Thanks.

I would say if ur getting great results with your ecurrent setup why change. You will get better bulb life with leds but quite an expensive setup. I think leds are not givin the credit they are due. However I think halides put out better growth just from what I've seen. I have 2 led modules in my nano I run and everythingis doing great. The sps I got from you has already healed where we cut it. You could do a led/ t5 combo it would give you a nice shimmer color and growth but you would have the cost of replacing the t5 bulbs

Back