Lighting question

NanCrab

Supporting
Reaction score
Is there any way to program a black box LED for a sunrise-sunset schedule if it doesn’t come with that capability? I don’t have Apex but am looking into reef monitoring/controller options. Like the open source concept but not sure I’m technically savvy enough for that.
Looking to add the light linked below to fill in gaps instead of buying additional of my current lights. These were recommended by someone on R2R who’s expensive kessil stopped working or got damaged, can’t remember and he said his corals have grown better with this one! But I like being able to set a schedule of ramping up and ramping down. Tech/lighting experts I need you!:):):)
Phlizon 165W Dimmable Full Spectrum Auqarium LED Light Fish Tank LED Reef Decoration Light for Saltwater Freshwater Fish Coral Reef https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074DRJK18/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_n9k7Eb914PGJQ

You can add a timer to the outlet
Thanks Bobby. But that would just be on/off correct? Not a ramping up/down schedule? The lights I have now I can set 5 different lighting programs and it slowly ramps up and down to those settings.

Correct. No way to ramp it up and down without doing some real modifications. Current USA makes a ramp timer that can control a few channels.

A black box can be made to ramp from 10-100%. Once it goes below 10% the channel(s) shut off. But like Bobby said, it takes internal rewiring inside the box and it also requires a controller to supply 0-10V.

A black box can be made to ramp from 10-100%. Once it goes below 10% the channel(s) shut off. But like Bobby said, it takes internal rewiring inside the box and it also requires a controller to supply 0-10V.
Is there a controller you would recommend? Could you help me with rewriting if I brought them to you?

Is there a controller you would recommend? Could you help me with rewriting if I brought them to you?
So far I only have experience with Apex. I'm sure there might be something else out there but I'd have to search for it.
You sold your Apex so I'm guessing you don't want a full controller again. For the cost of a BB and something to control it you might as well get a light with built dimming.

Something like this:

Or this:

James Graham aka telegraham on YouTube and Instagram and inappropriatereefer’s reef sensei has been doing all kinds of testing of cheap lights and matching them to the expensive AB+ on BRS. He has all kinds of helpful hints about this on his social media outlets.

So far I only have experience with Apex. I'm sure there might be something else out there but I'd have to search for it.
You sold your Apex so I'm guessing you don't want a full controller again. For the cost of a BB and something to control it you might as well get a light with built dimming.

Something like this:

Or this:
I have a sbreef 18" wifi I couldn't be happier with the price and with the performance. I bought it from a tank breakdown for 100 bucks. Took me a min to learn how to connect to it but after that no problems.

Back