lighting question?

bclark7169

Market
Reaction score
I am planing to set up a 225 gallon tank and was wandering about the 400 watt halides.. will 2 be enough on a 72x24x30 tank or will I need more for good sps growth? or would I be better off with 250 watt halides?

I have a 72" 125 gallon now and have 3 250 watt halides and it is doing great. I have 20k xms on it..

Also what bulb would you recommend for the 400 watters?

With good reflectors i don't see why...I like the 20ks but really depends on the setups...lumenbright reflectors and some nice 14-20k lights and it should be great...you sellin your 125?

not sure yet maybe the 125 maybe the 120 the wife wants to keep them all but too much work for me...

Let me know if you see a decent price on a 72 or yours goes up forsale

I used to have the exact same size tank, and I tried several light configurations... I started with 2 x 250 DEs , then 3 then went to 2 x 400s then 3... 3 x 400w SEs are the ticket... they will give you the penetration you need for a 30" deep tank and the 3 will give you the even spread you want... Bight the bullet and get 3 x 400w MHs...

3x400W 20K SI with XM or Radium bulbs. If you use the M135 magnetic ballast (bluewave) you'll get super duper par #'s and If you use some lumabright reflectors you'll be able to keep the bulbs higher off the water and that will help with heat transfer. I keep mine 14" off the water and with a small fan in the canopy i don't have a problem with temp.

Back