Lighting question

mikesmith34

Market
Reaction score
I'm currently running 2x250 w mh and 2 48" t5's in my canopy. I've been thinking of going LEDs for awhile and I finally made a move. My Photon 48 will be here Thursday!! I want to try and put another 4 -5 48" t5's in the canopy as well. My canopy fits on top of a 48x18 90 gallon. I'm thinking of ordering the end caps and ballast from BRS. Does this sound like something that would work well and provide ample lighting for the SPS in my reef.

The MH work well. I'm just trying to cut back on the energy/ heat. Those lamps keep my living room hot.
What do you think

I think I hope you didn't get the last Photon 48! I'm ordering tonight. Seriously though, I'm too dumb to address your actual question.

I placed my order Mike, it said backorder for me, that may be an error though.

Anyway, I was wondering how you would use the Photon 48 and a T5 fixture under a canopy? I have a similar tank and it seems like space would be an issue.

I got mine used on r2r. It was 8 months old still under warranty for 400.00 including shipping so I squeezed the trigger. The main reason I bought used is they are on back order. I was really interested in the super nova also but god knows when it will be out.

The light will fit under a 48" canopy I measured it. My plan is to hook it into the wood on top and let it hang so I can adjust the height. I'm also going to or plan to mount it as far forward as possible and tilt it back towards the reef. That will allow me room to augment with retro T5 lighting. I think I should have room for 3-4 lamps with reflectors.... I think

Maybe your right!! I'm not really sure. You know the theory if one is good two has got to be better. My line of thinking was for the acros I have. Maybe 2 t5's with the P48 is enough. I know a lot of the peeps with a lot of time in this hobby like the MH as do I . However with that said there are to many tanks out there growing great corals under LEDs. I'll straddle the fence and say we will see;)

I'm still not sure how I am going to mount the Photon. I can't hang from the top because my top opens. I'm either going to run something like a closet bar straight across to suspend it or put wood slats on both ends to hold it. RB assured me that the light it sturdy enough to do the wooden slat method without damaging the light.

Get a pic up as soon as you mount it, I may be waiting a couple of weeks.

rk4435;963669 wrote: I'm still not sure how I am going to mount the Photon. I can't hang from the top because my top opens. I'm either going to run something like a closet bar straight across to suspend it or put wood slats on both ends to hold it. RB assured me that the light it sturdy enough to do the wooden slat method without damaging the light.

Get a pic up as soon as you mount it, I may be waiting a couple of weeks.

I agree my top opens also. I like the idea of a solid mount in the event it gets bumped during maintainence. Some one on here knocked their light in the water setting the thing up and it literally went up in smoke. I think I would eat a bullet if that happened

Bgcoop8784;963672 wrote: I actually suspended mine from a piece of 1 1/4" pvc ran across the top of my tank and just wrapped the cables around it and hooked them to themselves. It was quick, easy, and it works great. The light has a very sturdy housing, wood slats should be fine. I like using the 4 cables though, less chance of dropping it with 4 mounts, lol.

I'm not following as to where you secured both ends of the PVC inside the canopy to prevent slop:unsure:

I'm thinking that you buy the u shaped mounting brackets like you see in a closet and attach them to the side of the canopy.

Bgcoop8784;963680 wrote: lol, never said inside the canopy...on top of. The top of my canopy is 9ft off the ground, over 9 ft long, and an open top, I just screwed the pvc across the whole length of the top and use it to hang whatever I need. :D

Ok now I feel dumb for some reason hahahaha

Sounds good. I certainly won't be messing with anything in my canopy until I habe the light and hardware.

Bgcoop8784;963687 wrote: lol, naa, really it's not a canopy I guess..I kind of built a wall in the center of the room that I call a tank stand. for a regular canopy you could always screw 4 conduit straps into the top of the canopy and just hook the carabiners that come with the light on them. With the hangers that come with the light you can tilt the light up on an angle also, just tilt it up and tighten the cable adjusters down.

I like that idea also

Ok so the light was supposed to be here today urggggh. USPS had it in atlanta on the 17th. So far so good. Now today I get a notification it's in frikin Memphis tenn. I'm in SW Ga what the heck is that all about

OK so the light finally got here after being lost in the mail. It went all over the SE USA. The USPS says they have no idea why......oh well now I can get this thing mounted

Back