Lighting questions....

taftonomos

Market
Reaction score
I'm looking at setting up a 3 tank prop system to do some frags on the side.

Plan is to have 3 50g tubs (53" x 31") and a 100g sump. One tub for SPS, the other 2 for zoos, rics, and a few other softies.

I'm looking for lighting suggestions.

I was planning on going with T5's, 6 over the SPS tank, 4 over each of the other 2 tanks, and then 6 over my 75. Problem is, 20 reflectors @20 each and 20 endcaps @ 14 a pair is almost $800 without buying ballasts or bulbs. Add on some ballasts and bulbs, and I'm up to 1K

I can get 250 hqi pendants w/aro ballast for $140 each, say $60 for each bulb. If I did 2 over the SPS tub, one over each of the other 2 tubs, and 2 over my tank I'm looking at roughly 1K

What lighting choice do you guys believe will promote the best growth and healthiest corals? Both for the prop system and my 75 tank.

if you dont care about the color get the 10k mh. i think it would give the most light. also if you dont have an issue with heat.

It's going to be in a small enclosed room with it's own AC unit that is very efficient.

I do want the corals to color up nicely, maybe some actinic supplementation is in order.

I really don't think 1 250w can cover a tub that is 53"x31", especially if it's mounted 4" off the surface. I would go with two 250w halides over the SPS tub and 2 150w halides over the other tubs. The T5 lights would even work out better but initial setup cost for T5 lighting can be high.

Looking at some discounts, seems I might be able to set up either way for about the same money. Do you think T5 would be better without respect to cost? IE: Growth, color, etc?

I'm pretty sure that the T5 bulbs will last longer than the MH's, but I could be mistaken.

I think metal halides are the standard. T5 would be the cost effective and modern way to go. Either way you will see growth as long as the other variables are right. The T5 will last longer but you also have to change more bulbs so the cost is still pretty high. I plan on going with T5 on my prop tank.

wouldnt T5 be more efficient as far as electricity also? or is that a mute point?

6 T5 with good quality reflectors should provide decent PAR for the SPS tank while using less energy thank 250w halides.

The LumenMax or LumenArc style reflectors may also be a good choice for you if you are planning on metal halides. These reflectors will give you a much better spread than the traditional "wing" style reflectors.

LA3.jpg
alt="" />

If your frag tanks are not too deep (12" or so) you could get away with 150w 10K lamps and have plenty of PAR for your SPS. My 12" frag tank with a 150w Sundial fixture with Ushio 14K has PAR values from 400 to 600 which is plenty.

My zoa/softie frag tank has standard T5's (48w) and it is doing quite well.

Back