Lighting schedule anyone?

reeferkeifer

Market
Reaction score
Hello fellow aquarists. I am new to the marine aquarium hobby but not to having aquariums. The idea of leaving certain lights on for most of the day is new to me. I have a 48", 2 bulb light with moon light LED's but it is not programmable and only has 1 power chord. Some of the lights I have seen has 2 chords for the different lights. I am planning to put a timer on for the blue and white light to leave on for about 8 hours each. My work schedule keeps me away from the house early in the morning into the evening. Can anyone give me tips? Is turning on the blue and white at the same time on a timer for about 8-10 hours a day ok? Any tips for good programmable light fixtures.

Thanks

I would set a timer for 4 hours starting 30 minutes before you get home from work.
This will allow your corals enough time to open and for you to enjoy the tank while you're at home.
Don't make the mistake of leaving lights on too long and having nutrients high enough to cause a bad hair algae outbreak.
You can slowly increase your photo period so long as your parameters are in check.

So you suggest blue and white light for just 4 hours? Also, I did not mention that I just set the tank up last Saturday. Its a 90 gallon with 70 pounds of live rock, 100 pounds of live sand and no livestock yet. I am still dialing in the protein skimmer and I am going to test my water for all levels tonight.

Yeah, your minimum photoperiod is 4 hours with corals.
Right now you can have a shorter photoperiod as you don't have livestock.
Better to side with a shorter time frame as to avoid algae.

Do you have a programmable light fixture? If so, do you like it and what brand?

That is my next buy. When I do have livestock, what time schedule do you recommend?

I find anywhere from 7-9 hours fosters decent coral growth without promoting too much nuisance algae. Been running at 8 for the last 6 months and everything's looking great.

Would love to get a programmable fixture to allow for a more intricate and smoother lighting period (say ramping blues/violets up slowly over 2-3 hours, then adding in whites for 3-4 hours & then ramping all down over another 3-4)... but the tanks's lighting needs are so basic (softies) that it's more for nerd-vanity than any practical benefit.

Oh, I have mine hooked up to a digital time set to come on about an hour before I come home and then cut out when it's time for me to go to sleep.

It's preferable to have actinic on first then white following.
I too have a 2 bulb fixture so I have no gradual "ramping" either, no I'll effects noticed yet.

ReeferKeifer;982508 wrote: Do you turn on your blue and white at the same time BulkRate?

BulkRate (jeremy) is a genius. he'll tell you he's not, but he's pulled my tank straight out of the gutter (with the help of others) and his advice is gold.

I wouldn't even run lights without livestock.

For one thing, you're using up bulb life for no good reason. Second, an extended lights off period is something to take advantage of, let any algae die off completely. If you have coralline growth (purple rocks), that might be a good reason to run the lights.

Otherwise I'd follow Francisco's advice but I'd probably start at 6 on, 18 off. What time of the day the lights are on makes little difference. Set the lights to be on when you're home to enjoy the tank. It is however important not to completely change what time the lights are on once you have livestock. You can adjust, but you'd want to bump the lights on schedule back or forward and hour or half an hour a day until you get where you want

Didn't you say that you have a 2 bulb fixture?if so,this will be no where near enough light to support hardly any kind of corals. Be careful with this because you can create another "bad saltwater aquarium" disaster!!! Not trying to scare you,just giving you advice

I do have a 2 bulb fixture. I am not planning on having any coral for a bit. I want to get the tank dialed in, get some fish and have the tank and fish healthy before jumping into coral.

Back