Lighting

jeep9783

Market
Reaction score
I have a small question? If i am using a 250w halide with 10k bulb obviously my tank will be yellow...if i install say 2-4 t5 ho actinc bulbs to get the look that i want does this still mean that i will get the look i want (bluish with lots of color of sps) and get the growth of the 10k halide, or if the color starts drifting away from the 10k color to the 15k color b/c of the t5's, I don't know if i am even making any since. Let me try to think of a better way to explain.

Chris

I dont have answer for you but I do understand your question so you made sense. I would also like to know the answer of this question.

well i understand that just using a 10k halide u will get good growth b/c there is 10k light threw out the tank but if u supliment t5 actinics to get the color that i want but still main tain good growth does that mean that i don't get the growth any more b/c i have changed the overall spectrium of the entire tank due to supplimenting the actinics? there we go i think that sounds better

I dont know quite what your asking. 10Ks are typically a crisp white (depending on the manufacturer). The actinics will certainly create a blueish hue. However, this will not harm growth.

Your under the assumption that 10k makes better growths that 15 or 20K. This is not nececssarily true. Higher PAR makes better growth, and historcially 10K has had better PAR than 15 or 20K, but things are a-changing. Some 15K or 20K bulbs make higher PARS than lower K bulbs now (ie- 400 watt Radium 20K are huge in terms of PAR).

Try to think of each bulb individually. If you put a 6500K bulb over your tank, it will supply that 6500K light, and any other bulbs cant change that. What you *see* may be different that that 6500K when adding more bulbs/light, but that spectrum is still provided.

The 10k will wash out 14k and 20k bulbs usually. All light will have some effect on your corals but actinic or 20k lighting mixed with 6500 or 10k is usually lost to the human eye.

So It Would Be Best To Go With A 14k...what 14k Bulb For 250w Moguel With Ice Cap Ballast Would Give Great Growth But Still Be Very Appealing?

A lot of SPS tanks are run under 14k and 20K lamps. Absolutely not an issue at all. In my case where I'm using the T5's they are mainly there for sunrise/sunset effects and to sub the 250 14k lamp. I'm not relying on them for growth.

In a 14k lamp the Pheonix 250 watt DE 14K is a very good lamp. In a 20K lamp either a 250 or 400 SE Radiums are a good choice. If you look at online at the frag dealers on line they use Radiums. Makes the SPS "pop", has good par so you get growth, probably slower than a 10K but still a good lamp.

I just got a Ushio 14k from Sam at aquabuys and the light looks amazing!

Radiums don't come in 14K only 20K. There's a reefer on RC named Greg Carroll and he has some "LE" frags out on the market and he runs 250 watt Radiums. THe only down side to Radiums is if your running an Ice Cap ballast your under driving the Radium lamp.

I thought the Ushio was a little to white for my taste well at least in a DE lamp. When I was running a SE lamp all I ran was the Ushio 14K.

If you're using an IC ballast and a SE lamp then I would recommend the Ushio 14K. A good hint of blue and good growth. If a Ice Cap ballast and DE then a Phoenix 14K lamp.

I just switched from Ushio 10k to XM 10k and I got the blue I wanted, it also has a lot better PAR rating.

Again, why is your tank yellow with a 10k bulb? It should be washed out white.

How old is the bulb?

Back