Lighting's effects on SPS

derek_s

Market
Reaction score
I have a question. I htink I know the answer to some extent, but I want to verify.

Do various forms of lighting (in respect to wattage, kelvin, etc) actually change the colors of the pigments of the coral, or are they primarily an effect of the light reflected off of them (which we see as their color)?

So in other words, 1 coral, fragged in half. It originates in my tank but the other frag goes in another. For simplicity's sake, lets say all variables (PAR, water quality, etc) are equal except kelvin. My tank is 14k, the other is 20k. The corals will obviously look different, as the light reflected is different in the first place. But over time, does the coral actually adjust and change pigment as well? Would it likely turn back to its former state if returned to my tank?

so your asking for a comparison of the color spectrum in terms of kelvin Vs. the insensity of ultra violet radiation?

Tricky question. there are a number of variables which play into how a coral is viewed. There are fluorescing proteins, which will glow in the presence of certain wavelngths of light. There are also different caldes of protiens which will proliferate under certain light better than others. SO, to make a long story short, it is a little of everything.

That is a very tuned down description, it is a very complex matter, but I hope it helps shed a little light. Eh....eh....shed a little light....eh.......ohhhh poooh.

No, I guess my question was does light change a coral's physiology, or just it's reflective properties.

So Jeremy, what you are saying is that certain colors of corals will be more rich depending on light wavelength, to some degree regardless of the big things like wattage, par, etc?

The reason I ask is this:

I have 8 T-5s; 4 run on each ballast.

I like running 3 blue + and an aquablue on one ballast, as this when running alone is a nice color for the tank

So if I use the other 4 lamps purely for growth and sustanance of the corals, I can run spectrums that are not necessarily pleasing to the eye (10k for me) but that will get the corals growing, since I will not be home most the day to see this set running.

BUT, will this affect their colors when just being viewed under another type of light (in my case the evening 4 lamp cycle).

intesity, or amount of PAR(among other things) can change a corals physical color yes.

Spectrum/kelvin temp will change what it looks like to your eye.

EnderG60;226628 wrote: intesity, or amount of PAR(among other things) can change a corals physical color yes.

That is not true entirely, either. Certain color clades prioliferate in different wavelengths. Lets say clade A does well under 20K lights, whereas clade B does well under 10K. Well, if I have 10K, Clade B is goign to be in abundance, and Clade A will not. It will be present but not as strong as the other. Almost alwasy, these protein clades have different visual characters (red, green, blue, etc). So color temp (and corresponding wavelength) can indeed change the physical color of the corals. Intensity (PAR) will also do this, as certain clades perform well at low or high PAR, and certain clades photoinhibit at certain PAR.

As I said, it is very complex, but both intensity and temp color will effect the physical coloartion of the corals.

Ya it's extremely complex. Another thing not mentioned is that with increased nutrients in the water the corals will look more brown due to the incresased zooxanthellae.

Jeremy of course is spot on here, and even if the proverbial all other things equal happens flow effects the concentration through ripple effects etc and can massively change it's growth patterns and shapes which also have a significant effect on coloration because of where and what light hits it.

I guess in an even more simplistic way:

For preferred color of corals. PAR is not king.. So just because my "bulb X" has PAR X, does not necessarily mean that my coral will look better than "bulb y" with a lower PAR.

Right?

SOOO, when choosing lamps in regards to growth and/or color (especially in the case of T5's where you are mixing many choices) you do not necessarily choose the highest PAR output lamps, but instead get a spectrum spread that creates the best color for your taste.

Right?

jmaneyapanda;226636 wrote: That is not true entirely, either. Certain color clades prioliferate in different wavelengths. Lets say clade A does well under 20K lights, whereas clade B does well under 10K. Well, if I have 10K, Clade B is goign to be in abundance, and Clade A will not. It will be present but not as strong as the other. Almost alwasy, these protein clades have different visual characters (red, green, blue, etc). So color temp (and corresponding wavelength) can indeed change the physical color of the corals. Intensity (PAR) will also do this, as certain clades perform well at low or high PAR, and certain clades photoinhibit at certain PAR.

As I said, it is very complex, but both intensity and temp color will effect the physical coloartion of the corals.

thus I said intesity CAN do it , and spectrum WILL change how it looks.:D

EnderG60;226628 wrote: intesity, or amount of PAR(among other things) can change a corals physical color yes.

My bad dude. I assume your quote above meant that PAR will change physical color, and spectrum will not. It seems as if you are saying that spectrum will only change the way it appears, not the actually coloration. Apologies.

So I guess the concensus is YO, LOL. I agree with Jeremy that its a little of everything.The Kelvin and the PAR will make the coral apear different because different algea's and protiens will stand out more or florish but as far as the physiology goes its still basically the same. Its not like something in the coral appears that isn't already there it just might change ratios or become more visible. Although this can cause a pretty drastic change in appearance. Take zoas for instance. I had some that appeared to be green bay packers under a 150 14k current bulb but when I put them under a 250 14k phoenix they now look like bumble bees although they are still the same coral.

its just one more reason why no two tanks are the same and pretty much no single coral will look the same in any two tanks.

I agree with that, but in my last post, i mentioned why I ask.

I guess it could also be posed as: If I GROW my corals under one light, but VIEW them under another, is there an inherent flaw that will still prevent me from acheiving best appearance? Maybe a silly question, but I think it is legitimate? Right???

Anthother way to look at it: If I have a propogation facility, what light will I grow my coral under, versus take photos of it under to make it more marketable.

Has little to do with the science of it but it shows how some corals respond to different light.

In my experience I had a stag that was aqua green when I bought it(under 20k).

Then under 250 10k went almost all baby blue. Later in the same tank I switched to 400 20k with very similar par and the coral changed to aqua green with baby blue tips

Under 250 10k. It was this blue for at least 8 months.
DSC_0005.jpg
alt="" />

Now under 20k first pic and it's the coral just to the right of the fish.
http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19771">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19771</a>

While it has been a long time now this happened in a fairly short period of time say 1 to 2 months. I kept everything else the same or as good as any of us can.

Joe

corvettecris;226723 wrote: I agree with that, but in my last post, i mentioned why I ask.

I guess it could also be posed as: If I GROW my corals under one light, but VIEW them under another, is there an inherent flaw that will still prevent me from acheiving best appearance? Maybe a silly question, but I think it is legitimate? Right???

Anthother way to look at it: If I have a propogation facility, what light will I grow my coral under, versus take photos of it under to make it more marketable.

You have just described the phenomenon of the "Japanese SPS" tanks. They are quite usually drop dead gorgeous, but often get the r5emarkable colors from teh colored spot lamps the use to illuminate. Little to do with growth, just appearance.

At any rate, that is the dilemma of ever coral grower in the Market. What will make great growth and color? Coincidentally, most of them, use 20KK 400 watters.

And many coral farmers over the years have done the "trick" growing them under Iwasaki's 6500 to maximize growth then moving them to a 20k with actinics "picture tank" for pictures.

For our displays we have to balance each, looks vs. growth and it's different for every person. There are changing opinions though of PAR being the end all be all of growth. For years it was thought that waas mainly the case but Tyree and some others have started looking at the clades etc and doing some experimentation. it wil be interesting over the next few years as i think we'll learn a lot more.

I mean ultimately I would probably use 1000W 20ks if I could deal with the heat and the electricity but given those I use 250W mixture of 10k and and 14k with actinics.

Also note that farming tanks are usually pretty shallow so a 400W bulb is a lot of juice!

Back