Lights out+flashlight=WTF is this?!?! *PICS*

mustangcaleb

Market
Reaction score
well its 3 am and i decided to grab a little flashlight and look at the tank. i saw WAY more pods than i wouldve guessed since this tank is only a month old. but the rock has been in an established tank for prob 4 years before it went into this tank a month ago. i also got some chaeto, they all could have come from, but anyhow... i looked around for a few minutes before realizing there was 3 inchs of worm sticking out from under a rock right in front of me. i put the light on it and it started going back in the rock immediately but i got the first pic before it was all the way back in. then i saw on the rock beside the one this worm was under, there was 2.5" of a matching worm coming out of a hole, but i had to get the pic from a different side of the tank, second pic. they were both grey with the dark band around the end.

31309003.jpg
alt="" />

31309004.jpg
alt="" />

and fwiw, ive heard of a few different types of pods. not sure if theres that much of a difference, but heres a few pics of the pods i see. i first 2 pics are of this one particular pod. every time ive ever looked at the tank with the lights off, this guy is there. he doesnt mind if i touch the glass .1" from him, or if i put the flashlight .1" off him either, he just chills. and the 3rd pic is another one i saw scurry across the sand while taking pics.

31309001.jpg
alt="" />

31309002.jpg
alt="" />

31309005.jpg
alt="" />

Well I think it is a peanut worm but check this site out. It is a good site for id's.

a>

Yeah, peanut worm -- you'll see them just keep extending their necks out like some go-go gadget worm and then zip back into their hole if they get startled -- they're pretty neat to watch, and totally harmless.

The second picture looks like an amphipod - they usually run around with their bodies in a kind of "c" shape.

You'll start seeing lots and lots of amphipods around as your tank matures.

Its loads of fun watching the critter population evolve in a new tank. Life just starts "exploding" in the tank as all the little critters start growing and having babies.

+1 on the melevsreef site.

yea, according to that site, exhibit a would be a peanut worm, and exhibit b would be an amphipod :D

didnt say much about the peanut worm though, i guess ill go google it then go to bed, thanks alot for the link!

The second 'worm' coming out looks like an ophiuroid (serpent star) arm to me.

It's cool to see what goes on after lights-out! :)

stacy22;306507 wrote: It's cool to see what goes on after lights-out! :)

thatd be alot easier to say if these "aliens" werent next to my bed, less then 3 feet from where i put my head at night :eek:

haha, pods are funny to watch, always busy working. except for that one that chills. hes there everynight, is that normal? hes like a hooker or a drug dealer, hes on that same corner every night. haha, i should try to hand feed him tomorrow. :up:

Back