Lion Fish

twistoflime

Market
Reaction score
After getting the big tank my dad took it opon himself to start researching salt water fish. He found liveaquaria.com then he said the only fish he wanted were sharks, stingrays, triggers, puffer fish, or lion fish; none of those are reef safe. We then went to Marine Fish and the only things he liked were the triggers, sharks, stingray, puffers and lionfish. He sort of liked the Naso tangs and the black tang. My mom and I were thinking about getting him every thing that he needs to set up a lion fish softie tank for Christmas. He really likes the violtin lion fish. So we're going to need a 50g tank, canister filter, skimmer, and a 250w mh. I was thinking we would only put turbo snails and large hermits in with the lion fish and they should be ok. Does any one have any tips on taking care of lion fish? Is anyone selling anything that we need on arc? Also I would be the one taking care of the tank, but it would tecnicly be my dad's tank. I also know that they are poisonous.
Thanks, Diane

I don't think the 50 would be big enough-I'd say at least a 75; I had one for a long time (before he got finned by my foxface). Everyone always LOVED him. My advice-DO NOT feed him 'feeder' fish. Feeder fish are the comet goldfish and the baby guppies you find in a lot of questionable LFS. They will eat them, but are very un nutritious (~sp) for them. I don't think the snails will live in there either--they will prob. get eaten. My advice would be maybe put a foxface in there with him to help control algae. The hermits will prob. get eaten as well. Good luck and they are very interesting fish-just don't get you hand stung by them!

Diane, look what you have started! :) I think that would be an awesome present for your dad for Christmas. He can have his cool, manly fish (and keep his paws off your 320) :) I bet you can find alot of the stuff you need from ARC members. Good luck.

ericmcj31;252890 wrote: I don't think the 50 would be big enough-I'd say at least a 75; I had one for a long time (before he got finned by my foxface). Everyone always LOVED him. My advice-DO NOT feed him 'feeder' fish. Feeder fish are the comet goldfish and the baby guppies you find in a lot of questionable LFS. They will eat them, but are very un nutritious (~sp) for them. I don't think the snails will live in there either--they will prob. get eaten. My advice would be maybe put a foxface in there with him to help control algae. The hermits will prob. get eaten as well. Good luck and they are very interesting fish-just don't get you hand stung by them!

Would a fuzzy dwarf lion fish be small enough for a 50? We're looking for somthing that can go in that size.

I am pretty sure that a fuzzy dwarf or even a fu manchu would be ok in that size of a tank.

probably. I would get an overrated skimmer (something rated for say a 90 or 100 gallon tank). The dwarfs can work in like a 30 or 40 I believe. just gonna have to keep up w/ your water changes-b/c if no clean up crew is in, then it can get ugly pretty fast. I had no problem, but I did like 20%/week.

My roommate's got a fuzzy dwarf in his 30 along w/ a foxface and various snails & hermits and hasn't had any issues w/ everyone coexisting. has some softies in there too.

-Carlo

You can have a clean up crew in your tank, you may have to replace ornamental shrimp and crabs every few months.

a>

Back