Little killers

colsongreef

Supporting
Reaction score
Small/clear white tip anemone kills my skunk cleaner
Anyone had this experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

its very likely that your shrimp died, and then ended up in the mouth of the anemone.
that said.. post a pic of the anemone or link a pic.. it could be a glass anemone and warrant some action if you have more.

SnowManSnow;1117424 wrote: its very likely that your shrimp died, and then ended up in the mouth of the anemone.
that said.. post a pic of the anemone or link a pic.. it could be a glass anemone and warrant some action if you have more.

7e0d8360e41bcfda436c0952ddc0c7fb.jpg
alt="" />

It's the size of a quarter and it was a large skunk. Will taking rock out and scraping them off with razor blade work?

I'm just trying to cover all the bases here, but because you don't have many posts i'm not sure your knowledge level. Are you certain the shrimp didn't just molt and it was the skeleton shell you saw in the anemone?
I think that's a mojano pest anemone. I believe you can kill them with aptasi X or kalkwasser paste.
Personally i really doubt the anemone killed it. Maybe fish or powerhead would be my guess.

sorry!

I've been doing saltwater since I was 12. So bout 33 years now. I stood there and watched it thinking it was molting but it had its back to the rock and the small tentacles had it. It was twitching like in an electric fence. I grabbed it loose and it kicked its tail a few times. This was late at night and it was moving on the bottom a little so I thought it might make it overnight. Nope it didn't. It was on that rock that morning picking at it. It usually doesn't go to that side of tank, but I guess it got brave.
Also I've never really been a "post person" but I thought since I've never witnessed this happen it would be a good topic to discuss. Plus on the other hand I'm learning something new everyday which makes this "expensive " hobby so amazing.

The shrimp was very healthy and I'd just fed him spirilla powder off my finger a few hours before which made his stomach turn green.

Well that's definitely very strange. I thought that their exoskeleton somewhat protected them from stings. I know I had some peppermint shrimp once that were tearing into the tentacles of an LTA to eat it. They didn't have a problem but maybe it can't do much to their claws. There's definitely things in this hobby you'd only believe if you saw. I once had that same LTA break a coral colony in half and move a 8-10 pound boulder over an inch. All in one jerky movement. Sorry I don't have any thing to add for you.

77b6249845e3624891fb0a031a7bcc92.jpg
alt="" />

Here is where it was. It looks like there are 4or5 together so I guess they teamed up on it.

If the shrimp was molting it was vulnerable. Sometimes crustaceans die in a molt.

I concur that it was likely an unfortunate coincidence, the shrimp died in molt and the anemone cleaned up. A shrimp can easily move away from an anemone - unless it is compromised (ie stuck in a molt.)

It's not like the anemone can chase it.

Jenn

Thanks Jenn. I met ya a couple times in your store few years ago. So sad you had to close, that was a beautiful store. Hopefully sometime you can do it again.

Thanks :) I'm loving the Monday-Friday work life now. I actually *have* a life! In fact, I'm getting ready to go on vacation!

Jenn

outdrsyguy1;1117441 wrote: I once had that same LTA break a coral colony in half and move a 8-10 pound boulder over an inch. All in one jerky movement.

That's crazy:eek:

OP
As Outdrsyguy mentioned, I suggest you kill that pest mojano before your tank is over run with them.

Back