Live Brine Shrimp

putemup

Market
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can buy some live brine shrimp? I live in Gwinnett/Walton but willing to travel where ever to get them.

Most shops can order them, but I don't know if any regularly do any more. Why are you after them? What are you feeding? They are really not worth the time, effort, and money nutritionally. You can easily hatch your own baby brine which are much more nutritious than adult.

I'm trying to encourage some finicky new fish (Anthis) to eat. Nothing really seems to be working. I've used pe mysis shrimp, garlic with no results.

Petland in Dunwoody used to have live brine shrimp. I haven't been there for a few years, so I don't know if they still do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got mine to start eating by feeding Nutramar. I don't know if any of our lfs carry it. I found mine at one of the big online stores.

HN1;1107986 wrote: Most shops can order them, but I don't know if any regularly do any more. Why are you after them? What are you feeding? They are really not worth the time, effort, and money nutritionally. You can easily hatch your own baby brine which are much more nutritious than adult.

I have had success enticing finicky eaters by mixing NHBS (newly hatched brine shrimp) in with some finely chopped mysis, etc... much easier to hatch your own then find adult brine shrimp and fortify them. I have tons off eggs and can give you some if you want to try but I am in Marietta.

Masago/Flying fish roe/Smelt roe

These are the small orange eggs you get on some sushi. They work great for getting finicky fish to eat. You can get them at Super H or Assi Asian markets, Rod's also sells it.

Soak them in RODI to get rid of a lot of the die. I use a small brine shrimp net for this. Then add a little garlic, Selcon and mix with a little Hakri mysis. Hakri's are usually a good bit smaller than PE. You can also mix in some finely chopped raw fish and shrimp.

I have also found that if you have the Anthias in QT with one or two other type fish they seem to do better getting started to eat. When they see the other fish eating in close proximity I think it triggers the feeding response. I have a Purple Queen that went through QT with a smaller Kole tang and a Blue Throat trigger.

You also need to feed them with the powerheads <u>on</u>, Anthias are not only taste eaters but highly visual, the food has to be in suspension from the mid to upper part of the water column and they will only eat what is in front of them. My PQA has never eaten anything from the off bottom or in the lower 1/4 of the column and very rarely off the surface. We've nicknamed it Picky Bit** lol.

Good luck.

That's not even the best one. When we got the Blue Throat it was male and a friend named it Daniel. After a couple months it lost all of it's coloring and turned female. The wife asked me what was up with the coloring and I told her it looks like it's turning female. She said "So Daniel is now a Danielle?"so I said "Yup, either that or it's a Tranny". Guess which name stuck??? :lol2:

Between the wife and I... If you only knew... gotta have fun in life. A sense of humor is always a good thing... even if its a little twisted. :yes:

Why don't u hatch it yourself instead of buying. Only take 2 days for them to hatch. Very easy to do
Text me if u need any help 404-421-4670

Today, I purchased some brine shrimp eggs. They should arrive in a couple of days. I located directions on the net concerning how to hatch my own. It seem simple enough in theory anyways. lol. I tend to think it will work though. I'll let you know how it goes...

PutEmUp;1108104 wrote: Today, I purchased some brine shrimp eggs. They should arrive in a couple of days. I located directions on the net concerning how to hatch my own. It seem simple enough in theory anyways. lol. I tend to think it will work though. I'll let you know how it goes...

Try Nutramar Ova ( tinny prawn eggs ) might do the job.
The Fish Store @ Chamblee has it.

PutEmUp;1108104 wrote: Today, I purchased some brine shrimp eggs. They should arrive in a couple of days. I located directions on the net concerning how to hatch my own. It seem simple enough in theory anyways. lol. I tend to think it will work though. I'll let you know how it goes...

Good luck. Can't go wrong with BBS as far as I've seen.

I bought some of the prawn eggs you guys suggested today and everything in the tank seems to love them except one cardinal fish.

Man are those eggs tiny though. Does anyone happen to know the nutritional value of them?

Back