Live Rock Covered With Algae

dale77

Reaction score
I purchased some live rock covered with algae over the weekend. It came with a reef tank that was largely unkept for several monthes. What is the best way to remove the algae from the live rock? I have removed hair algae from live rock in the past by scrubbing it with a brush in a bucket of salt water. This does not look like hair algae. I placed some of it is in a newly set up tank intermixed with my existing live rock with a maxijet 1200 flowing directly on it.

Please post a picture of this algea. You might want to hold off putting any of it in with your other tanks until you find out what is it. There is alot of Algea out there that's very hard to get rid of.

Yeah if its not hair algae then i hope its not bubble algae. You can put the stuff in a bucket preferably with a skimmer and do constant water changes. You can scrape what you can see off...if its bubble algae i would suggest leaving it out in the sun for a couple weeks then washing it off with fresh water then use it as base rock >< Bubble algae is evil...

I would try and salvage the life in the rock rather than just scraping it as base rock. Post a pic.

Here is one of the rocks.
Dale
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
95725=6014-DSCN0379.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
95725=6014-DSCN0379.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="DSCN0379.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Looks like red cynobacteria to me I've had it in almost every tank I've ever set up and it goes away on its own in a few weeks. It usually grows in areas of low flow. Good luck

Back