live rock with dead stuff

jdavid

Market
Reaction score
So recently purchased some LR. There is one big piece that has a cavity in it that is pretty large on a big flat side. apparently, something was up in there. The rock looked fine when I first got it. Brought it home and over the next day started to realize there was a stink in the room, and that it was coming from the bucket that had the rocks, a heater and powerhead. well moved the rocks from the bucket when I filled the tank. still didnt notice anything. went to stack the rocks today and when I pulled out the big rock it STUNK. my gf asked what the smell was from the other room. immediatly noticed that the flat side that had been facing down there was a lot of something dead. thats when I discovered the rock had a big hollow cavity. I didnt find a skeleton, but it could still be up there. There was a whole bunch of dead organic matter. a lot of it was stuck to the rock and had to be scrubbed off with a toothbrush. I was wondering why the ammonia was so high when I tested yesterday.. didn't think I would get that uch die off lol. I'm afraid it could have been an anemone.. which I understand could have polluted the water with toxins? so I could just run carbon and keep dosing seachem prime or should i replace the water. It stinks pretty bad. Hoping the smell will go away now that I got all the greyish black jelly left over from whatever crawled in that hole and died out, but a bunch released into the water when I lifted the rock.

there was a good handful of this stuff... it was not a small fish that is for sure.

Sounds like you'll have a good cycle! I'm not to sure about the toxins though..... I've got more H20 if you need it.

Might have been an anemone. One thing is for sure, rotting sea-life from dry rock is absolutely PUTRID.

beccaf91;846824 wrote: Is there a big shell where a clam or something could have been. They smell horrible when they die and turn to like a nasty slime.

No shell that I can see. or skeleton, that's why I think it was an anemone.
I wonder if the previous owner is missing anything lol

heathlindner25 Sounds like you'll have a good cycle! I'm not to sure about the toxins though..... I've got more H20 if you need it.

lol. thanks Heath. yeah I do need maybe one bucket to fill the rest and one to do WCs on my 8 gal. I have an empty bucket to hold the spare water, but no lid for it
I'll shoot you a text

JeF4y Might have been an anemone. One thing is for sure, rotting sea-life from dry rock is absolutely PUTRID.
just absolutely rotten.

I picked it out for a great price though no way he could have known there was something up in there.

Back