Live rock

lsu_fishfan

Market
Reaction score
I have 200+ lbs. of live rock in a container with saltwater. It's been over a year that the rock has been sitting in the container, and I was wondering if it would make a difference keeping it in water vs letting it dry out over night. I am starting to aqua scape this weekend and have heard its easier to work with dry rock. If I did dry out the rock, would the bacteria still be in/on the rock? The water has not had much done to it, so salinity is probably high along with trates and phates. What would you guys recomend, let it dry out or keep it in water to help preserve the bacteria? Thanks

LSU_fishFan;1008630 wrote: I have 200+ lbs. of live rock in a container with saltwater. It's been over a year that the rock has been sitting in the container, and I was wondering if it would make a difference keeping it in water vs letting it dry out over night. I am starting to aqua scape this weekend and have heard its easier to work with dry rock. If I did dry out the rock, would the bacteria still be in/on the rock? The water has not had much done to it, so salinity is probably high along with trates and phates. What would you guys recomend, let it dry out or keep it in water to help preserve the bacteria? Thanks

I would keep it in the water. You're going to have a lot of die off if you let it dry out which can lead to ammonia spikes if you plan on using it soon after.

or, if you want to dry it out, let it bake in the sun for a couple of weeks.

Declanisadog;1008632 wrote: I would keep it in the water. You're going to have a lot of die off if you let it dry out which can lead to ammonia spikes if you plan on using it soon after.

I was planning on using this weekend.

Luke, has the rock just been sitting in a container of saltwater for a year? If so, has it been covered? I would worry about possible contaminates. At the least, I would probably rinse with some bleach water or vinegar and and air dry before using.

stacy22;1008675 wrote: Luke, has the rock just been sitting in a container of saltwater for a year? If so, has it been covered? I would worry about possible contaminates. At the least, I would probably rinse with some bleach water or vinegar and and air dry before using.

Yes it has been in an open container of saltwater in my basement.

Back