Live sand bed is crunchy and hard

dolfan

Market
Reaction score
I just did a water change and I usually vacuum my sand bed a bit to remove a small amount of cyno that builds up in one area. Today I went to dig the vacuum into the sand and it just stopped, and I moved it around I found that this whole area had a crust and in places it was really hard! I'm going to guess this is something to do with my dosing of Alk and CA, Kalk? I know this is new as last water change this was not happening and based on my APEX records that was just 3/11/20.

I've been testing pretty regularly and my parameters are the following:

SG 1.025
PH 8.2
KH 8-9
CA 380-400
Mg 1350-1390

I've been dosing Kalkwasser for a couple of years and in the last 6 months I have that automated and running well via APEX without any issue. But in the past 5-6 weeks I have started to use more Fusion 1 & 2 to try to maintain a good level for Alk and CA.

All my inhabitants are doing well, I have a mix of Acros/Zoes/Frogspawn/Mushrooms and all are going well, even decent growth on the Acros.

Any help is appreciated.

I experienced the same thing recently under a rock ledge, it was like a clump of cat litter. Due to the location of my clump I figured it was caused by reduced flow and detritus settling.

It happens. I just break it up occasionally.

Having sifters like Diamond & Sleeper Gobies can help.

Carbon dosing has been known to accelerate clumping too.

It happens. I just break it up occasionally.

Having sifters like Diamond & Sleeper Gobies can help.

Carbon dosing has been known to accelerate clumping too.

Speaking of diamond gobies...are they known to jump out of tanks? I just bought one and found him dead on the floor between the wall and the cabinet.

Speaking of diamond gobies...are they known to jump out of tanks? I just bought one and found him dead on the floor between the wall and the cabinet.

Unfortunately, yes. All torpedo-shaped fish are highly inclined to jump. This includes gobies, dartfish, wrasses, and many more. But until you become familiar with them all; just ask “is this fish torpedo shaped (oblong and skinny)?” If yes, then it is a jumper.

Unfortunately, yes. All torpedo-shaped fish are highly inclined to jump. This includes gobies, dartfish, wrasses, and many more. But until you become familiar with them all; just ask “is this fish torpedo shaped (oblong and skinny)?” If yes, then it is a jumper.
Damn! I just wanted a sand sifter! I even asked about jumping. That is frustrating. I just want something that will do something with this ugly brown algae. I know it’s just a phase, I was warned about it but I had no idea how ugly it was gonna get. You spend months buying and building and preparing a gorgeous rockscape, get it cycled and BAM! Looks like crap (literally) although I really am enjoying watching the tangs swim back and forth. The other three little fishies just hang out in the upper corner, barely see them.

Hold my beer...

Say hello to the Purple Tile Fish. I’ve seen these bad boys sail 8+ feet across a room, no problem! Absolutely gorgeous fish though. So if you’re tempted to get one, just know that your average tank cover won’t do. Also, any time you have to do maintenance, be prepared for them to jump!

Hold my beer...

Say hello to the Purple Tile Fish. I’ve seen these bad boys sail 8+ feet across a room, no problem! Absolutely gorgeous fish though. So if you’re tempted to get one, just know that your average tank cover won’t do. Also, any time you have to do maintenance, be prepared for them to jump!

These are one of my favorite fish! I've always been surprised that they aren't more popular in aquariums, and I intend to have a small shoal of them whenever I upgrade my tank.

The color of the video does not do them justice! I highly recommend seeing them in person.

These are one of my favorite fish! I've always been surprised that they aren't more popular in aquariums, and I intend to have a small shoal of them whenever I upgrade my tank.

The color of the video does not do them justice! I highly recommend seeing them in person.
How are you going to keep them in your tank?!

I had a diamond goby but I think he fell prey to a CBS that I have in the tank. The sand bed is not that old, maybe 16-18 months I guess as I switched it over back then. I also have several Nasarrius snails, and a strawberry conch that work the sand.

The comment about flow sounds interesting as this is the same location that always seems to have cyno so flow might be lower there.

Definitely look into getting a screen top or some kind of lid. Anyone who tells you fish don't jump is flat out lying to you.

It's not just gobies. Almost any fish has the capability to jump. When I first started my clowns jumped several times. One in particular hit the ground 3 times and somehow he's still alive today. After a year or so I got lids for both of my tanks.

I have a heavy canopy but it is open in the back. I need to put the screen top on I guess.

How are you going to keep them in your tank?!

My current tank, and future tanks will have canopies. I keep the top and the back sides of the canopy open for airflow, but not entirely open as I screen them in. Any fish that happen to jump that high will lose lots of momentum, before hitting the screen and falling back in.

Most of my favorite fish are all jumpers.

back sides of the canopy open for airflow, but not entirely open as I screen them in
We have a screen top but I hate it because with the size it is cumbersome to deal with for feeding and maintenance. Is there a way to put some kind of screen or mesh just across the back somehow? Not that anyone but Gumby could fit back there but may be able to move it with enough help. Thoughts/ideas?

We have a screen top but I hate it because with the size it is cumbersome to deal with for feeding and maintenance. Is there a way to put some kind of screen or mesh just across the back somehow? Not that anyone but Gumby could fit back there but may be able to move it with enough help. Thoughts/ideas?

That sounds like you have a screen top for your tank. I was referring to a screen for the top and back-side of the canopy. The screen here simply functions as a wall that allows air and heat to pass through easily.

Back