Live sand question...

thedeper

Market
Reaction score
Ok, I have set up a new tank and put live sand (Nature's Ocean) in it. I do not have a heater in the tank yet though, is this going to kill all the good stuff that is living in the sand? I cant really find any info on the website of temp requirements...

The only thing living in "live sand" is bacteria since its nearly impossible to kill them off entirely. You're fine without a heater. :) I still recommend seeding your tank with healthy sand or LR from a member's tank.

I actually have live rock in my 55g that I am going to move over to this new tank...I just bought some of the ''live sand'' for more of aesthetic purposes but did not want to kill off any of the bacteria that is supposed to be in it.

Also, could I go ahead and move some live rock around without a heater or would that kill the rock off?

It shouldn't be a problem really. The inhabitants are hardier than we generally give them credit for. There will be some die-off though from moving rock from one tank to another. Typically its just the sponges although I'm sure some of the microfauna perish as well. To minimize sponge loss keep the rock submerged while transferring. It is summer afterall and the water temp will only get as cold as the ambient room temp which will only be a problem if you're a polar bear like me.

How much die off should there be, should I be worried about an ammonia spike coming after I move the rocks? I have to move the rock all of 5 feet lol. And one more question and I'll promise to leave you alone...I have had a algae problem pop up on me and I want to rinse the rock off, could I do that with freshwater or should I mix up a batch of saltwater and do it in my rubbermaid container? Thanks for your help.

If you have to pull the rocks out to scrub them there undoubtedly will be a fair amount of die off. When we use that term we are specifically talking about the sponges dying. Sponges make up the majority of the biomass of the rocks and they are sensitive to air. When air gets in them they have no way to get it out and the surrounding tissue simply dies. This is why keeping the rock submerged during the entire transfer will help minimize die off.

Ammonia spikes aren't a big deal though, that's to be expected. Since you have no livestock to worry about you should be just fine.

As for cleaning the rock off... To minimize die off you should use saltwater for rinsing. Fresh water on the other hand will undoubtedly kill everything :).

Back