Live sand

Akash

Market
Reaction score
So I am currently setting up a 30 gallon hexagon reef tank and wanted live sand. I was going to get the Fiji pink but heard people saying that it was being blown all over the tank by the current. Does anyone have any experience with this live sand or know another sand they would recommend? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I am currently setting up a 30 gallon hexagon reef tank and wanted live sand. I was going to get the Fiji pink but heard people saying that it was being blown all over the tank by the current. Does anyone have any experience with this live sand or know another sand they would recommend? Thanks!

I tried it and it did get blown around. Wasn't terrible it also got everywhere and was hard to manage. If you want to stick with live sand, I would pick a more coarse substrate something in between the large stuff and sand. You might have to order it. I know they do make it.

I tried it and it did get blown around. Wasn't terrible it also got everywhere and was hard to manage. If you want to stick with live sand, I would pick a more coarse substrate something in between the large stuff and sand. You might have to order it. I know they do make it.

What did u end up going with? Thanks

What did u end up going with? Thanks

I just went back to the normal larger live coarse substrate that you can find at LFS and Petco. I love the sand bottom but not worth the trouble IMO. I think a few LFS sell the stuff in between but I wasn't looking hunt around for it. Also, had a red cyano outbreak with sand and it was nasty to clean up.

I have no issues with my small grain sand, but be prepared for any fish that sift the sand or sleep in it to kick some up every once in a while. I got the smaller grain sand specifically to make it easier on my diamond goby. Whenever you get larger grains closer to gravel I hear it can be hard for them to clean it/get nutrients out of it

My favorite sand is CaribSea Oceans Direct. The reason being is I like the various size of sand particles along with broken shells that make it look more natural. Price is good too, $32 for a 40# bag.

That's a good one. I had the finer version which was like true sand. Didn't know Petsmart sell CarbiSea. Good to know.

Back