Loc line arrangement?

hn1

Market
Reaction score
We're getting ready to attempt plumbing our 50 and are basically clueless. We're going to use a 20 long as a sump. The DT is drilled once (2 1/2") for overflow. We're going to use 2 3/8". Our return will have to hang over the back. Any recommendations as far as diameter of return and the loc line arrangement? The return pump is a mag 7. Do we need a check valve? How do we go from PVC to the loc line output? Or am I missing something completely? I've search DIY and Melev's, but can't find anything in regards to the transition.

They make fittings that go from PVC threaded to loc line. There are also pieces designed exactly to hang over the back and you can attach clear vinyl tubing to them. You don't need a check valve if you drill a hole slightly above the water line on the underside of some locline to allow a siphon break. I am planning to use both (already have the check valve, make sure to get a swing valve, not a spring loaded one, and clear is always better).

Is it drilled with an overflow or drilled in the back or what? A 2 1/2" hole will fit a 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" bulkhead (I forget what size, but someone here will know).

au01st;351615 wrote: They make fittings that go from PVC threaded to loc line. There are also pieces designed exactly to hang over the back and you can attach clear vinyl tubing to them. You don't need a check valve if you drill a hole slightly above the water line on the underside of some locline to allow a siphon break. I am planning to use both (already have the check valve, make sure to get a swing valve, not a spring loaded one, and clear is always better).

Is it drilled with an overflow or drilled in the back or what? A 2 1/2" hole will fit a 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" bulkhead (I forget what size, but someone here will know).

It's drilled on the back. We're going to order the 2 1/2" BH unless we can find it locally first. Grouper Therapy helped us determine the right size.

Seedless Reefer;351625 wrote: Do yourself a huge favor and drill another hole!

Why? I always figure the fewer potential failures below the waterline, the better. Maybe a bad habit from my Navy days?

Back