loc-line check valve?

misu

Market
Reaction score
can I use a lock line check valve on my returns instead of the small hols that's supposed to break the siphon?

Right now that hole is above the water line and it's acting like a venturi pulling bubbles in the tank.

I know I could lower it but looks easier to just plug it and add a loc-line check valve

I was not aware Loc-Line made a check valve?

An issue I could see is that there is a certain amount of pressure the return pump would have to overcome to open up the check valve, as they usually have a spring type mechanism in them, unless they are simple flapper types, so you'd in effect be restricting the output of the return pump somewhat.

And check valves need regular maintenance so they keep working correctly.

EDIT : nevermind, though you ment ball valve(in which case tim has them at keen reef)

no idea about a check valve tough

here's the thing at BRS

a>

Sure enough...that's a new one on me...never seen one before. Bet it is a new product.

I saw those yesterday as well. Some one was selling them on another site .They would be great on a frag tank.

good find misu, maple and i were discussing our siphon break ideas on our return side the other day. I think this will be alot better than tha noisy hole that dumps water in the overflow, thanks man

Just remember that these are prone to failure like any other check valve. Regular maintenance is the key. Dave Grouper Therapy uses check valves and has yet to have a failure, but he maintains his.

Personally, I have never placed return water lines more than 1/4" or so below the water surface. Too risky. If check valves/anti-siphon holes get clogged, you can still have a flood. My return nozzles break siphon for me. Easier solution and failure proof.

Smallblock;548495 wrote: good tips dave, i wonder what maintance is involved in these hmmmmm

Probably the main issue is slime/crud/encrusting stuff building up on the valve that closes with back pressure, preventing it from closing all the way and allowing water to siphon thru.

I'd guess a regular vinegar soak for the valve would be needed.

Rbredding;548529 wrote: Do they have a 3/4" version?

I don't know anyone using 1/2" lockline

Don't use it if you are not using 1/2" Loc Line the whole way. I thought it was a 3/4" check valve. You'd seriously reduce your return volume if you used it with 3/4".

Acroholic;548493 wrote:

Personally, I have never placed return water lines more than 1/4" or so below the water surface.

that's what I did, free fix :)

misu;548544 wrote: that's what I did, free fix :)

I still have a hole drilled in the PVC elbow for a siphon break, however. Just a habit I got into since the early 1990s. Use them on all my reef ready tank return setups.

Rbredding;548529 wrote: Do they have a 3/4" version?

I don't know anyone using 1/2" lockline
If you find one let me know. I'll fill there mailbox up with stuff

Smoothie;548754 wrote: If you find one let me know. I'll fill there mailbox up with stuff
lol... that's the problem...

MISU, good to meet you lastnight..

Back