Loc-Line Parts Question

saltyvixen

Market
Reaction score
Im bout to finally start on my sump build and return stuff. So i like the look of the Loc-Line parts is there a cheaper alternative to Loc-line and it still look good in the tank? I calculated the price of purchase for the parts i want and its a whopping $35 just for a few pieces and thats not including shipping.

SaltyVixen;889128 wrote: Im bout to finally start on my sump build and return stuff. So i like the look of the Loc-Line parts is there a cheaper alternative to Loc-line and it still look good in the tank? I calculated the price of purchase for the parts i want and its a whopping $35 just for a few pieces and thats not including shipping.

Not much in the way of alternatives except in OEM overflow kits. Some of the major manufacturers, can't remember which, use their own type of Loc-Line knockoffs that does not fit Loc-Line and are cheap and break easy. You may post a WTB and get what you need that way. In the long run, you are better off to bit the bullet and get what you want. The genuine article Loc-Line will last for years and is very high quality. I have some pieces at least 15 years old.

The only other option I can think of would be to use gray PVC fittings (schedule 80). I use these for the twin returns on my 465 gallon reef, but that is because I use 1.25" ID pipework for the returns, and Loc-Line is just not wide enough for this size application.

A bit of advice (needed or not), is to always make sure you have quality equipment in this hobby. If new is too expensive, then buy used but in good shape. Follow this and you will save money in the long run. I have learned this through bitter experience.

Here is the website for the Master Loc-Line Distributor.

a>

No there is no cheap alternative unfortunately, but you can poke around looking for used stuff.

New expect to pay around $1 per link, and $5-$15 per fitting.

Acroholic;889160 wrote: Not much in the way of alternatives except in OEM overflow kits. Some of the major manufacturers, can't remember which, use their own type of Loc-Line knockoffs that does not fit Loc-Line and are cheap and break easy. You may post a WTB and get what you need that way. In the long run, you are better off to bit the bullet and get what you want. The genuine article Loc-Line will last for years and is very high quality. I have some pieces at least 15 years old.

The only other option I can think of would be to use gray PVC fittings (schedule 80). I use these for the twin returns on my 465 gallon reef, but that is because I use 1.25" ID pipework for the returns, and Loc-Line is just not wide enough for this size application.

A bit of advice (needed or not), is to always make sure you have quality equipment in this hobby. If new is too expensive, then buy used but in good shape. Follow this and you will save money in the long run. I have learned this through bitter experience.

Here is the website for the Master Loc-Line Distributor.

http://www.modularhose.com/Loc-Line-34-System">http://www.modularhose.com/Loc-Line-34-System</a>[/QUOTE]

^^^^^^^ + 1 on what Dave stated above. I would rather pay a little more in the beginning than come home one afternoon to find tank water all over the floor. I believe in purchasing high quality components related to Reef Keeping. In the long run, I believe you will be glad you did.

You may find some cheaper alternatives at places like Ebay. I believe in the old saying, "you get what you pay for". I would be more at ease with a purchase of quality parts than a cheap substitute [ my 1/2 cent].

Wannabee

I have several new pieces laying around. I assume your tank is not drilled. I have a U made of PVC that the line loc threads into. LMK if interested. We can work out a trade or something.

nickg;889217 wrote: I have several new pieces laying around. I assume your tank is not drilled. I have a U made of PVC that the line loc threads into. LMK if interested. We can work out a trade or something.

Im actually getting a drilled tank today :lol2:

Good luck with the leaky overflow box. :/ sorry about that!

JDavid;889363 wrote: Good luck with the leaky overflow box. :/ sorry about that!

Silicone fumes:yuk: Im workin on it, just got done resealing it and i'll test it in a day or so.

I'm thinking that with the bulkheads and standpipe in place, a small leak at the bottom of the overflow box is a non-issue. A leak quick enough to keep you from filling the tank like you told me earlier is probably an issue. But even if you slow it down most of the way, the bulkheads and standpipes should eliminate the issue.

I know that doesn't help for a quick tank swap, and I feel bad about that. Should have tested it.

These are the bulkheads you need (The 1" ones)
http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Bulkhead-Kits/I/Replacement-Bulkheads.aspx">http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Bulkhead-Kits/I/Replacement-Bulkheads.aspx</a>

I had actually had my cart full there at one point with loc-line and fittings for the return, 3 of these bulkheads, the strainer to go on the full siphon drain (which I'm actually having trouble finding now), and a quiet one pump for that tank. The total price wasn't bad.. $50 or something like that.

Back