Long 60 foot RO run

robertshaw85

Market
Reaction score
Hello reef club-

Im attempting to move my RO unit apprx 60 feet from its original water source. The routing will need to go up apprx 10 feet to run through the ceiling and then will ultimately drop back down 4 feet lower than the source at its end. two questions- is it best to leave the ro unit at the water source or can I move it 60 feet to the tank setup? Also can I use the skinny standard 1/4 tubing to run the water source or will I need larger diameter tubing bc of the pressure going 60 feet. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

You can keep it where it is and run it to where you need it to be without changing any tubing diameter.

Thanks for the feedback acroholic. Ideally the ro unit would be located after the 60 foot run at the tank. Is this doable or is it better to have the unit before the 60 foot run?

robertshaw85;906477 wrote: Thanks for the feedback acroholic. Ideally the ro unit would be located after the 60 foot run at the tank. Is this doable or is it better to have the unit before the 60 foot run?

As long as you're getting ample pressure in the unit AFTER the run then it shouldn't be a problem, but that would depend on how you're getting it into the unit.

robertshaw85;906477 wrote: Thanks for the feedback acroholic. Ideally the ro unit would be located after the 60 foot run at the tank. Is this doable or is it better to have the unit before the 60 foot run?

I'd have the long run after the RO unit myself, but like John said, as long as there is ample pressure after the run it would work. You also have to consider where the waste water will go.

Personally, I would locate the RO Unit nearest the water source and the drain for the waste and have the product water make the long run. Product water can easily go up 10 feet and over 60 feet through 1/4" OD line. This is how I have my own RODI set up in my basement to feed the WC container for my 100 gallon mixed tank. The product water goes up about 7 feet, then travels about 30 feet, then comes back down and into the WC container. My RODI unit is in an unfinished are of my basement, near the water source and close to were I have the waste water draining out.

Thank you all for the feedback! I am going to pick up a pressure gauge to see what kind of readings Im getting before and after the feed. It sounds like the best look is to leave the unit at the source. Cant thank yall enough as this is something I have been pondering for a while!

I would measure timed output, say 10-15 minutes or more, at beginning(0-3') and end(60') location. If the long run has dropped off, then run an equal amount of waste tubing just coiled up. Another way would be installing some type of valve to increase waste back pressure. Do not completely close off the waste line, you can damage the membrane. You trying to achieve a balance between the two outputs, permeate(product) and waste.

robertshaw85;906715 wrote: Thank you all for the feedback! I am going to pick up a pressure gauge to see what kind of readings Im getting before and after the feed. It sounds like the best look is to leave the unit at the source. Cant thank yall enough as this is something I have been pondering for a while!

I don't know if you have ever considered a booster pump for your RO unit, but they are fantastic. If you input pressure is less than 60 PSI, I would definitely consider getting one one. They will boost your production rate, and are easy to hook up as well.

May not be necessary if your RODI needs are low, however. I use a lot o RODI in my setups.

I'm running mine from the laundry room into my attic, across my home, and into my sump closet without a boost pump. Booster pumps do indeed help, but it can definitely be done without one very successfully. I've been doing it for over a year now.

This thread details a discussion that was had a while ago about this very subject...
http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=79509&highlight=booster">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=79509&highlight=booster</a>

Best of luck!!!

Back