Long term with Glass Cages tanks?

george

Market
Reaction score
Anyone have any long-term experiences with a Glass Cages tank?

Whats your definition of long term? Mine is going on for a year now. Their tanks might not compete comestically but longevity, I think they might outlast some other tanks. Their glasses are thicker in comparison.

Bought mine used and its been up for over a year with no issues. If I were buying new, I would get the cover for the overflow so fish will have a harder time getting in there. Its a pain to fish them out. Like their stands as there is no center brace just very heavy exterior plywood all around to hold in place.
Canopy is good also.

From what I've read, they don't have longevity issues. They have cosmetic and customer service issues.

there was someone here who had customer service issues with them. i forgot who it was but they jerked him around about the tank for a couple of weeks. and he was pissed

Although I have no personal experience with them, I find it odd that there is so many negative posts about their customer service, or lack thereof. Where there's smoke, there must be at least a little flame. If it were me, I would steer clear of Glass Cages.

tyleratl;146387 wrote: Although I have no personal experience with them, I find it odd that there is so many negative posts about their customer service, or lack thereof. Where there's smoke, there must be at least a little flame. If it were me, I would steer clear of Glass Cages.

You can't beat their prices or their selections. Even if you can't find the right sizes amoung the 50 or so sizes listed on their site, you can have them customize it.

I remember reading about some issues with the bracing on their larger glass tanks. IIRC, the braces snapped but it was repairable. Don't remember where I saw that, however

I "heard" "read" horror stories..hear say? Probably, but enough to have me steer clear of em...

My next tank is gonna be a 300g from them. Yes cosmetically the silicone jobs dont looks great - but for the money you cant beat it. One of the main complaints I have heard about CG is the delivery fiasco. I have heard some horror stories about that. Basically from what I know you pay an extra $110 to have it delivered on their set date. They will call you when they are in town and you better drop what your doing and go meet them in some shopping center. Its not a well thought out delivery method. You gotta hope for the best. I plan on driving to Tenn to pick mine up when its ready.

They have had massive quality problems with big tanks, to thin glass, inadequate bracing, etc that has caused many issues. Just search RC they are plenty of examples. I looked at this tons when i ordered my 450 in 2005

Anything standard that's 180 or under i've never heard any real problems with, only sloppy silicone and some service and delivery issues.

chrisjet;146417 wrote: My next tank is gonna be a 300g from them. Yes cosmetically the silicone jobs dont looks great - but for the money you cant beat it. One of the main complaints I have heard about CG is the delivery fiasco. I have heard some horror stories about that. Basically from what I know you pay an extra $110 to have it delivered on their set date. They will call you when they are in town and you better drop what your doing and go meet them in some shopping center. Its not a well thought out delivery method. You gotta hope for the best. I plan on driving to Tenn to pick mine up when its ready.
Aha! Thanks Chris. By the time I tack on all the extras like overflows, starphire glass, and delivery, I think I'd rather drop the extra $$ or so to get an Oceanic Tech.

I got my 36 x 25 x 25 from Glass Cages about 3 months or so ago. I got starfire on 3 sides and love it. They also did my stand and a sump for me. They answered my emails and phone calls promptly and politely. The quality was as good if not better than any "manufactured" tank / stand that I have seen or owned. I actually drove there (4.5 hours) to pick mine up. The owner showed me around the plant where the tanks are made. It is mind boggling to see the number of tanks that they make. All shapes and sizes of tanks including LFS set ups. I would not hesitate to buy from them again.

Darren

I got my 90 a year ago. It's still rockin"! Built my own stand. I took a trip to Nashville, was going that way anyway, and picked it up. In the middle of the sticks. He's a nice guy, retired from the rat race and builds tanks. His wife is a little funny, and I think that is where the customer service issue comes in to play. For the price it's a deal.

Joes was almost 3 years old when he bought it from me and he has had it over a year now. I have heard the same about finish work not 100% and some late problems, but they do A LOT of business. Some Oceanics aren't that expensive.

For a custom job of 24x18x25, they quoted me $240 with a starphire front. Once you throw in drilling and overflows, it's not too far behind an Oceanic.

I'm sure it'd be a good deal if I were getting a standard size.

I picked up a web special: 90 gal for $250. Not bad for a white boy. If I was to do it over, I'd get corner overflows. That middle overflow is a pain. My tank is rock solid. I anticipate no problems with it.

Back