Long Time Lurker

freddy4130

Market
Reaction score
Hello all. I am new to the hobby. In fact, I do not even on a tank yet. All I have is the itch. I have been lurking the forums for a little over a month and I must complement you guys on having the most fun and active forum I have seen. As well as the most informative. I live in Birmingham and Alabama has only got about three people with reef tanks.

I am very interested in doing this. I have the time, money and desire. I have been doing all the research hoping I would read/see something that would talk me out of getting into this hobby. I have found nothing scary enough to do that so I think I am going to take the plunge sometime around the beginning of the year.

I really don't see myself starting with a really small tank and "upgrading" for the next couple of years. My intention is to start with a big tank (110-150g) and just build the reef slowly over the next few years/forever. What say you guys? If you could start all over in the hobby how would you guys do it? Good to be here. Can a guy in Alabama be in the Atlanta reef club once he gets a reef? LOL.

Welcome, you can become a member anytime you want. When I started, it was with a small tank, 24G, that I probably put just as much time, effort, and money into as I would have a larger tank. I think if you go slow and it sounds like you are willing to do that, then I think it's a good decision to start out in the range you mentioned. There are lots of guys with way more experience than I have that will be willing to help out with good advice. If you haven't done so already, get a copy of "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Bob Fenner and read through it. It is an excellent place to begin learning. Good luck!

welcome!!

going big is a real good idea!! take the time to do the research. Watch the for sale threads, you can find some great deals there.

good luck and enjoy your newest addiction!!

Jason

I'll get that book. The only problem I see with searching the classifieds right now is that I want to jump the gun. What is for sale now will not be there when I am ready to buy and I get my little hopes up, LOL. I am patient. And cheap, a great combo when looking for a deal right?

Welcome to the ARC. Smaller tanks are good if you have limited space or just want a good challenge. The larger tanks are more forgiving in the way of mistakes. The greater water volume can take hits alot easier then small ones. I agree with you on wanting to start out big. If I had it to do over and had the money, of course, I would have gotten a 180 or so.

Again welcome to the ARC, glad to have ya!

So here is my first official question. Is it okay to get a large tank (150or so) and add rock slowly? Or do I have to get all the rock at once and fill it to the limit? What I mean is that I would like to get my tank, plumbing, filtration, sump and all the "needed" stuff. The I would want ad sand and only a little bit of rock, say build a small section on one end of the tank. And later add rock on the other end and then finally finish it all out.

I am trying to avoid two things: 1. buying a lot of rock and risking screwing it up due to lack of knowledge, and 2. having to buy all the rocks at the same time. SO the real question is can I run a system with a ton of water and minimal rock at first?

+1 on making your own rock. There are some threads here and also on RC regarding people who made thier own rock. Like Dawg said, it will need to be cured before putting it into a already running system. Alot of times you can get rock from people on here breaking down thier tank. Most of this rock would already be cured and could be added to your existing tank without cycling. I have roughly 250 lbs or so in my 90g. Its packed but all my parameters are always perfect.

I have done all the research on building my own rock. Seems like the way to go. At least for a good solid base. I am pretty creative and stuff. And most of all cheap and patient, lol. Also, it would give me something to do now in anticipation for the tank early next year. It could be curing while I am holding out for my deal. HAHA. Anyone know of a vid for that process BTW?

Not sure on a video. Might check around on youtube or on RC. I am pretty sure there is a DIY thread on there and there may be on here as well. Can also check with Ramone. He made all of his rock and he could probably walk you through it. Best of luck!! Post some pictures of whatever you end up making. I'd like to check it out.

Maybe I'll put together the vid of my rock making experiment? If the rocks turn out good enough, I'll post it someday. If not, you'll see me on another thread begging for some rock, LOL.

Try to look at a lot of tanks before you decide. I purchased a 75 gal and before I even put water in it I wanted a larger one. It's not that I'm unhappy with the 75g, I'd just like to be able to keep more fish. I also wish I'd bought a taller stand for easier viewing. And, I wish I had a sump instead of hang-on-back fuge, filter, skimmer. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my tank, but these are some of the things I would do differently. As for live rock, that was one of my better decisions. I waited until I found a good deal on some cured live rock from someone that was getting out of the hobby. Making your own sounds like a really good idea too, but I believe it still has to be cured (not 100% sure though). Good luck! It's a fun hobby.

I want a really long tank. The depth is not that important to me, but I want it to have a presence in my room. I have a finished basement and I have already chosen a good wall for it. LOL, I just need the tank now.

A long tank is good... but do not skimp on the depth... Some of the EASIEST tanks to plumb and aquascape are deep. If I was looking at getting a NEW tank. I would take a serious look at the new Marine land tanks. They are deep! The cool looking display you could do in those things. Granted my dream one is that 300gal that was at MACNA (and Marine Fish has one for sale). But I am 99.9% sure they make one in a 150gal and a 200 gal. Worth taking a look at if you are going to buy new.

Welcome to the club!

I would not suggest a tank over 2' deep unless you are ready for some extra work. Touching the bottom and working in a deep tank is a PIA and even worse if you have a wide tank. Also getting light down past 2' can get expensive if corals are in your future. 72"x24"x24" is a nice sized tank. If you do go with a 6' plus tank I would suggest getting one at least 24" wide if not wider. Larger surface area is a good thing and width is cheaper to light than length or depth.

I would also consider a tall stand not a standard sized one. Few regret that decision.

oh and I am not back... just harassing Brandon.

2nd width. Alot more aquascaping, coral # and swimming room possibilities.

Back