Longest you've ever had a reef tank setup?

10 years
I tear it down because I was having trouble with the deep sand bed and I had a hard time cleaning coralline algae off the acrylic front without breaking a coral off every time I put my hands in the tank

I'll play, 18 months, and it may be broken down today. It has been a problem tank since the beginning because I was cheap! Transitioning livestock to a small holding tank while I start over.

JBDreefs;1014733 wrote: I'll play, 18 months, and it may be broken down today. It has been a problem tank since the beginning because I was cheap! Transitioning livestock to a small holding tank while I start over.

We all learn from our mistakes. Your next one will be better for it!

3 years ad broke it down to sell the house.

4 years and broke it down to upgrade. Went from a 29gal biocube to a 6 rimless cube. Thankfully lost no livestock except a cheap chalice in the move.

I had a 250 gallon from 2008-2012. Reason for breaking down. I lost my job and my private company was struggling to stay afloat. Honestly finances wasn't the reason I broke down , but it was sheer depression and stress about life. I didn't want to let everything die so I gave almost everything alway and now just coming back.

3 years. i tore it down to upgrade. although i had a 60 cube for around 4.5-5 years but that was a fowler tank. i tore that one down to downgrade to my 20 long reef

My 140 Mixed Reef is my first SW tank and its been setup for 2 years now as of a couple days ago.

Well I started in 1986.....so how many years is that?? Not consecutive unfortunately....breakdowns occur because of moves I'm not really sure those should count as breakdowns since they were moved and set back up immediately. So first run was 1986-1996, second was 1996-2001. I did take a break from 2001-2004 but been back up and running since 2004 and that includes a moved from Detroit to Dunwoody and then Dunwoody to Johns Creek.

And to give some idea of changes in the hobby...my first filtration system was a reverse flow, undergravel filter!

Still haven't been reefing for two years but had a 90g for about 14 months... I kept adding rock from wherever and the hitchhikers just took over. I just didn't have the time to battle with bryopsis, aiptasia and whatever else with some much focus on my grow-out tanks.

Did my 30g with dry pukani rock and so far pest free.

Back