Looking for (1) Sea Hare and (2) Good Skimmer

flipturn88

Market
Reaction score
(I hope I've posted this in the right forum; feel free to move it if not.)

Hello All,

I've been mostly MIA for the past year or two due to the demands of college and other related commitments, but I'm home for the summer and therefore have lots more time--that will largely be spent on this hobby, of course.

This post is not about my aquariums, though. As some of you may remember, I worked with the Reef Club a few years back to get a tank set up for my good friend Heather who has been battling Ewing's sarcoma. Amazingly, most of the cancer has been eliminated from her body, and doctor's say she's now in uncharted territory in terms of her recovery. Through this tough time, her family has found the aquarium offers both a means of escape and unity, as they have all adopted roles to assist in its maintenance and care. Plus, I'm a huge advocate of its therapeutic potential as well.

While the tank has been established for a few years now, they are having problems with recurrent hair algae. We tested the water and found no detectable nitrites/ates, but the alkalinity was on the low end (2.5 meq/L). In conjunction with some other changes, I've suggested that she try another sea hare (which worked well in the past) and finally get a good skimmer, as the tank has been skimmer-less this whole time.

This is where you all could be of great help; funds are tight for her family, and while they are willing to buy the aforementioned suggestions, any good deal that could be offered would me MUCH appreciated. The skimmer would have to be a HOB, as the tank does not have a sump/overflow. If anyone has a sea hare she could simply "rent," we think this would be the ideal situation as well. In addition, her tank could certainly benefit from more live rock as added filtration (she has about 30 pounds in a 55 gallon), but I realize that such a donation would be hard to make.

Below is a link to her old website, which hasn't been updated in a couple years but does provide some background to her situation: http://www.caringbridge.org/ga/heatheremery/">http://www.caringbridge.org/ga/heatheremery/</a>

As always, thank you all for being so generous and supportive. If the timing is not right or you do not have such supplies available, then no worries at all.

And, of course, Happy Reefing!

Kayla

Hey, PM username Steve. He had a HOB skimmer by Aqua C, which make decent skimmers. I think asking price was 60 if he still has it. I'm not sure what it was rated for, but you might dig up the thread and find out. I think it was the 'Urchin' model.

I know it's lower end, but I have a Seaclone 100 w/ a MaxiJet 1200 she can have. Once I replaced the crappy air valve with a quality flow control, it works reliably. Wish I could do more.

hey i just broke down a tank to make room for my big tank and have an aqua c remora hob that i would be willing to donate to the cause.

Derek, thank you for the helpful suggestion. Had other offers not been made, I would've certainly looked into Steve's skimmer, but I think we have the perfect solution now.

Barry, much thanks to you as well for your generous offer. We truly appreciate it, but we cannot pass on a Remora; I have one on all my tanks, so I'm a huge advocate of this skimmer. That said, your setup sounds great, and again, Heather is grateful for every donation made.

jt955, I sent you a PM--thanks again!

As for the sea hare, we added some snails and macro algae today in hopes of halting the green algae growth. If everything is still looking good by next weekend--with the exception of the pest algae--I may just buy them a sea hare then, no problem.

Thank you again, everyone!!!

Kayla and Heather

Back