Looking for black live sand

Watch out for the magnetic stuff. I forget which one, but it will wreck your glass if using a magnetic scraper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mystery_me;1088752 wrote: Price

$24.99 per 20lbs + 15% off for paying ARC members.

We also stock Seachem "Gray Coast". Not live though.

http://www.seachem.com/gray-coast.php">http://www.seachem.com/gray-coast.php</a>

We love it. Have it in our new Redsea Reefer 450 display tank.

aXio;1088754 wrote: $24.99 per 20lbs + 15% off for paying ARC members.

We also stock Seachem "Gray Coast". Not live though.

http://www.seachem.com/gray-coast.php">http://www.seachem.com/gray-coast.php</a>

We love it. Have it in our new Redsea Reefer 450 display tank.[/QUOTE]

How much for the seachem

Why do you need it to be "live"? If you are buying commercial live sand it is merely wet and has some bacteria in it...

Seachem "Gray Coast": $19.99 per 7.7lbs + 15% off for paying ARC members.

It is hard to find black sand that isn't live and will still help buffer and stabilize your pH for what ever reason. Or you start getting into Silicate sands... and that's a whole different story all together =)

But our favorite right now is definitely the gray coast. It isn't solid black but still a nice clean dark color that pops everything in the tank a lot more then just normal white sand. Not sure how fast you are trying to make a decision, but if you are coming to the BBQ you can always check out the Reefer display and see how you like it. Also Daniel from Seachem will be there if you care to pick his brain about it =)

aXio;1088794 wrote: Seachem "Gray Coast": $19.99 per 7.7lbs + 15% off for paying ARC members.

It is hard to find black sand that isn't live and will still help buffer and stabilize your pH for what ever reason. Or you start getting into Silicate sands... and that's a whole different story all together =)

But our favorite right now is definitely the gray coast. It isn't solid black but still a nice clean dark color that pops everything in the tank a lot more then just normal white sand. Not sure how fast you are trying to make a decision, but if you are coming to the BBQ you can always check out the Reefer display and see how you like it. Also Daniel from Seachem will be there if you care to pick his brain about it =)

I've seen their tank and he's right, it looks great. I went with the Caribsea Hawaiian Black and the Seachem definitely looks better. I'm going to swing by and grab some as I redo my nano cube.

Here is a quick picture I snapped while I stopped by the shop today. Doesn't really show how it really looks though. Hard to get a good picture of it. Best to see it in person unfortunately.

IMG_20160622_205856_zpsiedy7xal.jpg
alt="" /></a>

aXio;1088849 wrote: Here is a quick picture I snapped while I stopped by the shop today. Doesn't really show how it really looks though. Hard to get a good picture of it. Best to see it in person unfortunately.

IMG_20160622_205856_zpsiedy7xal.jpg
alt="" /></a>
Roughly how many lbs did this tank take?

FutureInterest;1088772 wrote: Why do you need it to be "live"? If you are buying commercial live sand it is merely wet and has some bacteria in it...

Actually I don't prefer it live I want it dead lol I'm moving tanks and using old tank water and want to prevent another cycle.

jrhunter0000;1088856 wrote: Roughly how many lbs did this tank take?

About 125lbs. That is 16 bags of 7.7lb Gray Coast. Tank is a Reefer 450 (60x20 Footprint)

jrhunter0000;1088857 wrote: Actually I don't prefer it live I want it dead lol I'm moving tanks and using old tank water and want to prevent another cycle.
That live sand is not going to prevent a cycle....imho, u have to prepare for a cycle if you have sand. You can't really move it and not disturb it, and live sand is a joke...it's not going to prevent a cycle. You are def best off to set up the new tank and cycle it fully then start moving stuff over. Live rock should be OK to just plop in from the old tank, but not sand imo, especially if your replacing it with new.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

jrhunter0000;1088967 wrote: I'm gonna add a bunch of dry too we will see what happens
Dry will not prevent it either....if anything dry could start a cycle if it has any organics in it. I would seriously reconsider a tank to tank move without monitoring the new tank for a while.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

While I don't think it is as scary are Torqued is making it seem, you do want to be careful and aware. In my opinion 80%-90% of your good bacteria is in the rock and sand. What is in the water column is all but useless. In-fact when we move tanks we make sure to move the rock/sand over and just about do a 100% water change other then what we need to transfer livestock in. Keep in mind if you let that tank water sit more then an hr or 2hrs in a bucket or brute then the parameters have likely changed and dropped off and aren't the same are the tank was before anyway. We move on average 5-8 tanks a month with this method and have very minimal losses.

So yes removing either the sand or rock and replacing it with new fresh stuff is risky. You want to have a game plan as how counter and help out the bacteria with the transfer if you do decided to remove it. Because unfortunately the most convenient time to change sand... is during a tank swap.

Back