Looking for Info on DIY solar panels in backyard?

wannabeeareefkeeper

Market
Reaction score
Has anyone attempted a backyard solar panel array for powering our hobby of reef keeping? What are your thoughts and could a journey down this road be cost efficient? I'm not planning a project to power a whole sub-division, just my collection of small aquariums.

Wannabee

P.S. What is a good source to purchase solar panels? I prefer to stay away from products "made in C____" I like [quality] in a product.

I've got a buddy who works for a solar company......I could ask him.

Ringo®;881136 wrote: I've got a buddy who works for a solar company......I could ask him.
Any information would be appreciated. Right now; it's just a thought that could make it to my 'things to do" list.

Cost effective? Sure if you are willing to wait 10 years to recoup the set up cost. But after that it is free. LOL. Solar is pretty expensive and I think you will find the return is pretty small compared to the initial cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rdnelson99;881176 wrote: Cost effective? Sure if you are willing to wait 10 years to recoup the set up cost. But after that it is free. LOL. Solar is pretty expensive and I think you will find the return is pretty small compared to the initial cost.

Esp with the number of days with cloud cover in ga

JohnIII;881235 wrote: Esp with the number of days with cloud cover in ga

Particularly this year! :). I know we needed the rain but this is overkill

JohnIII;881235 wrote: Esp with the number of days with cloud cover in ga

Some solar panels will still work with clouds all around the sky above you. This type of solar panel is called Amorphous solar panels. I'm not sure how effective these type panels can collect power from the sun with a thick cloud presents above you; i.e. how much energy from the sun can be collected from a cloudy day?

I'm still beginning my research to see how effective solar panels would be.

Wannabee

When things slow down for me a little I am hope to have the time to explore this also. I have a 45,000 gallon indoor salt pool that I would love to run via solar if it is viable and if yes, I would like to tie my aquarium into that same system. I plan on building a larger tank in the future too. Just don't know enough about the tech and the costs associated with a system that would really work. It would be great to generate solar power enough supplement too depending in the options. I am sure it is going to be expensive on the front end. I may just have to wait until there are better options available.

jcusmarine;881248 wrote: When things slow down for me a little I am hope to have the time to explore this also. I have a 45,000 gallon indoor salt pool that I would love to run via solar if it is viable and if yes, I would like to tie my aquarium into that same system. I plan on building a larger tank in the future too. Just don't know enough about the tech and the costs associated with a system that would really work. It would be great to generate solar power enough supplement too depending in the options. I am sure it is going to be expensive on the front end. I may just have to wait until there are better options available.

Are you in the neighborhood next to Thornhill by chance?

Ahhh.........not the house I was thinking of but a very nice area still! Let me know if you ever need a hand with anything. I'm a couple minutes down the road from you by Jones Bridge park. Sorry for the threadjack.

Motors draw a lot of current which would take a huge area of solar panels. The pool and aquarium pumps would be your biggest problem.

As for the pool, you may not be able to run the pumps but you sure could heat it year round. Build 4' x 8' panels with 4" deep sides. Paint them black. Route copper tubbing in a grid pattern in the panel and paint the tubing. Cover it all with plexiglass and set on the roof. Run pool water through it and you will have a warm pool year round.

Ringo®;881264 wrote: Ahhh.........not the house I was thinking of but a very nice area still! Let me know if you ever need a hand with anything. I'm a couple minutes down the road from you by Jones Bridge park. Sorry for the threadjack.

Will do and thanks!

rdnelson99;881265 wrote: Motors draw a lot of current which would take a huge area of solar panels. The pool and aquarium pumps would be your biggest problem.

As for the pool, you may not be able to run the pumps but you sure could heat it year round. Build 4' x 8' panels with 4" deep sides. Paint them black. Route copper tubbing in a grid pattern in the panel and paint the tubing. Cover it all with plexiglass and set on the roof. Run pool water through it and you will have a warm pool year round.

Will read up on that. Thanks.

I can 't copy a friggin link on this iPad.
The best start is from search YouTube DIY solar panel markp0177
There is another feller there to talking about encapsulation.
Don't let the nasayers deter you.

Edit: Search YouTube DIY solar panel markp0177
Don't let the nasayers deter.

Ringo®;881264 wrote: Ahhh.........not the house I was thinking of but a very nice area still! Let me know if you ever need a hand with anything. I'm a couple minutes down the road from you by Jones Bridge park. Sorry for the threadjack.

"....... Sorry for the threadjack." I will allow it this time; just don't let it happen again! :lol2:Really, not a problem at all. The ARC is a meeting place as well as a learning website. Helping others -- "That's what it is all about. " :shades: :yes: :D

Wannabee

Back