Looking For Opinion Red Sea Reefer vs Standard Tanks

jeffandkelly

Market
Reaction score
My husband and I are going to be upgrading our current tank in the very very near future.

Up to this point we have only had all in one tanks. We started with a Solana and now have an innovative marine SR 60.

We are currently debating between a Red Sea Reefer or a Standard 150 tall.

We would love to hear anyones first hand experience with the Reefer and any pro's and cons we need to take into consideration.

We already know that a big con is lighting. While the reefer does come with A/I's, we were really wanting to run a combo of t5's and radions on the new tank. However, if there is anything that is better that would outweigh the lighting concern and sway us towards the Red Sea, feel free to chime in. Not looking to rush into this tank, we did that with the IM and I can't stand the tank honestly. So this time we want to make sure the decision is thought through and solid.

Thanks!

What reefer?

I have a standard 6ft 125g tank and wish I'd gone with a 180. I want the 24 inches of depth to view the tank. I find my 125 too thin to achieve that look and have been looking to upgrade. I fear the 150 would feel too thin and tall.

Red Sea tanks are top notch and are worth it for a turn key system but since I have all the equipment(sump,skimmer,reactor, etc) it is hard for me to drop that kind of cash when I can get a 180 tank for a third of the price of the 700 XXL and have plenty left over after building a stand.

If you want to start fresh and sell off all old equipment I would lean toward the reefer and have a turnkey tank.

i have the reefer 425xl, i LOVE it!!! mine came with out any lighting, it is the prefect system because you get to choose your power heads and reactors, lights, pumps, and so on, the glass is so clear and the whole system is so clean. the only con i can come up with is my top off is only for 3 days and when i take a trip i end up adding in my old top off bet no real big deal.

Honestly all of our tanks to this point have been all in ones. So I don't have any equipment that we would need to part with.

I think the one closest to 150 gallons is the Red Sea Reefer XL 139.

I just have heard mixed reviews and not sure if they are worth the price

I am cycling a Red Sea Reefer XXL 750 right now and love it.  It is close to the quality of an Elos tank (which I also have) for a fraction of the price.  If you like the modern design over tradional cabinetry and they have a size you like, you can't beat them. Here is a shot of mine:

>

Have you looked at other similar looking systems that don't come with lights?  Something like cadlights for example.  I had one in my office at work and it looked pretty nice.  Very modern looking in piano white.

I actually really like the cadights line. I think my biggest thing with them as well as with Red Sea is they dont offer a natural wood looking stand. I really dont like the white and black stands. I love more cabinetry.

Back