Looking for opinions on aquascape

jamos5790

Supporting
Reaction score
Here are a few pictures of my possible aquascape.

I was going for somewhere between NSA and just piling up the rocks.
Look me know what you think.

Does it look too busy?

Would you change anything?

What's good/bad?

Pictures are front, back, top view

The cardboard it is sitting is for reference, gives 1.5" clearance all the way around so I can clean. In some of the photos it looks like rock is over cardboard but it is not.

Attachments

• 20230310_222215.jpg
    20230310_222215.jpg
    363.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 20230310_222241.jpg
    20230310_222241.jpg
    385 KB · Views: 43
  • 20230310_222327.jpg
    20230310_222327.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
I personally learned over the years, Aquascape is one of most important part you want to make sure you are happy with as you initially starting the tank. So, it’s good that you are trying to get it right the first time. One thing I’ve learned is you really want to keep your hands out of the tank as much as possible once it’s filled with water. Tinkering too much is never good for the tank.

I would removed the big doom rock on the right backside for sure. (Or least break it with hammers. Big chunky rocks are really going to limit your spaces. Lift those rocks up if you can. What you want is least amount of base to touch the bottom of glass with stable base.
I would to get the rocks that are shaped in a particular way for your coral placement.

Also be aware that those rocks with pores are good for bacteria but also traps detritus which will cause more harms down the road. I will never ever use Marco rock type AGAIN. (All white with with too much pores). It does matter what type of rock you use to cycle your tank as well. Recently tried caribsea live rocks (which are artificial purple rocks). And I think it was one of best move I made. Since I can’t change the aquascape.

Now days, less is better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It really depends on what type of coral you want to grow. I agree with @project1004 about getting the rocks up off the sand. If it were me I would smash a lot of that with a hammer and glue it all back together in a maze of rocks with coral epoxy. Regardless of what corals you want to grow or what you want it to look like; I would advise you have way more caves than you think you need, your fish will appreciate this. Leave at least 4" space between any rock and the glass, 1.5" may be enough to begin with, but then a coral grows on it and the coral is touching the glass. Don't have rock any higher than 1/2 way up the tank, having open space on the top half will give corals room to grow while still allowing you room to get flow where you need it, and in my opinion the open space up top looks better when everything is grown in.

Hey guys thanks for the input!

I'm going to play with it a little more today but first I have to did a small leak in my tank!

Just found it last night, looks like it is weeping out the back corner.

Wow. Sorry…. And good lick/luck… How big is your tank? With leak, always comes down to is it worth it? <>

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me; a good aquascape will conscientiously utilize empty space. Less rock often looks better.

1.5" on the sides is far too little. 4" is much better, but if possible, try to get that to 5-6" or more... especially in the front. This will encourage future fish to swim and hang out in your display area.

Specifically, i would remove the 3 standalone rocks in the front. I love the 2 tall pillars, but depending on the height of your tank, those could look great or just cause shadows. So maybe keep them, adjust them, or plan your lighting to hit all sides of each of them. Great start!

Here is where I ended up.

Been up and running for a week now.

Attachments

• 20230319_231116.jpg
    20230319_231116.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 16
Back