Looking for reactor opinions

dball711

Supporting
Reaction score
Currently using TLF phosban 150 reactors for carbon and GFO. They work well but are a pain to clean and change out. Thinking about going with the BRS reactors, they have internal chambers that can be swapped out for a quick change. anyone have any experience with the BRS or other units?

NextReef is what I just bought after much reading, reviews and friends that use them and love them.

This is what I got

C66ADD97-81AC-44DF-BEA4-6872FC035610_zpskhvfaqmb.png
alt="" />

Hey Dave, I have use the BRS reactors in the past, personally, didn't like them 100%, I might had an smaller pump for them or I might was expecting the media to be more "fluidizing" than getting clumped and compacted, pretty much in the second canister, but then I found another design with them, same type of canisters but there's a "Y" coming from the pump to feed each reactor separately and of course, having more control with the media you choose and avoiding channeling and clumping.

Finally, I got MRC reactors for my last build, I believe I went big with the size I've chosen at the first 3 I had, but then I found a good deal for another smaller set, it's expending more money on reactors, comparing, but hope they can do the service they were designed to. It depends on the space designed for them too.

I just did a Make it yourself avast. It came together great and I saved a lot!

It's not a big name, but a reactor isn't something complicated .

All the ones you've mentioned are great, but check http://www.avastmarine.com">www.avastmarine.com</a>

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ime the clear ones are slightly easier to clean and swap out but they didnt perform as flawlessly as the TLF. they still stick media at the bottom and sides. also the top mesh screen would clog. (especially when i ran biopellets on my 220)

my .02

I also have a next reef MR1. I'm very happy with it. Easy to swap out media an no leaks.

ive been using the brs ones for years. they are super easy to use especially if you get extra cartridges. the only issue i ever have with them is that sometimes the screens that keep the media in get clogged but a couple minutes and an old tooth brush take care of that.

Wow lots of feedback, thanks to everyone. I like the NextReef MR1 and the Avast MR5 kit but both look like they might be a pain to service? Deb, Brandon, Fire Fighter, any feedback...

Brijesh, thanks for confirming the ease of switching cartridges with the BRS...they just don't look as sexy as the NextReef or Avast reactors.

Antonio, saw that pic when doing initial research and figured separate valves were key if I go with dual chambers but I'm leaning toward one chamber (maybe). I like the MRC reactors too, Raj makes some really nice stuff.

dball711;1042419 wrote: Wow lots of feedback, thanks to everyone. I like the NextReef MR1 and the Avast MR5 kit but both look like they might be a pain to service? Deb, Brandon, Fire Fighter, any feedback...

Brijesh, thanks for confirming the ease of switching cartridges with the BRS...they just don't look as sexy as the NextReef or Avast reactors.

Antonio, saw that pic when doing initial research and figured separate valves were key if I go with dual chambers but I'm leaning toward one chamber (maybe). I like the MRC reactors too, Raj makes some really nice stuff.

no problem. ill take ease over sex appeal any day (in equipment, not women. i know rich is probably lurking around here somewhere just waiting for an opportunity to make a joke.) im sure that by the time i got all the thumb screws undone to change the media on some of the other reactors id be done on the brs reactor. if you're just swapping cartridges it'll take you less than a minute, and if you're just using one cartridge and swapping media every time it might take 4-5 minutes.

There's 2 main things to consider:
Fluidization and flow.

Make sure you are able to get the gph you want and need through the reactor. Secondly, will it fluidize? This will allow maximum efficiency, saving you money in the long term by effectively using your media.

Obviously, you don't want leaks, but that's a given.

My mr1 is easy to service. I turn the pump off lift the output hose up for about ten seconds to allow some of the water to flow out the input. Then loosen a few thumb screws and pull the top off. Leave the top in its place and take the chamber to the sink.

LocalPref;1042670 wrote: My mr1 is easy to service. I turn the pump off lift the output hose up for about ten seconds to allow some of the water to flow out the input. Then loosen a few thumb screws and pull the top off. Leave the top in its place and take the chamber to the sink.

+1

You don't have to undo all the thumb screws, it sides over them (take a close look at the top). The only reason to tighten down a few screws it to make it leak/spill proof.

The thumb screw openings are made like a picture hook hanger on the back of a picture. Where there is a larger opening to insert the nail head then it slides into place securing it with a smaller opening...

Sorry, I hope that makes sense? It's best way I know how to describe it since I don't know what it's actually called!

Camellia;1042717 wrote: +1

You don't have to undo all the thumb screws, it sides over them (take a close look at the top). The only reason to tighten down a few screws it to make it leak/spill proof.

The thumb screw openings are made like a picture hook hanger on the back of a picture. Where there is a larger opening to insert the nail head then it slides into place securing it with a smaller opening...

Sorry, I hope that makes sense? It's best way I know how to describe it since I don't know what it's actually called!

i get what you're saying. i always thougth it was all the thumb screws you had to tighten and loosen every time you wanted to change the media

Back