looking for some advice with ph

cutman1975

Market
Reaction score
I have a seventy gallon tank my ph will not stay steady,usually 7.9 to 8.1 with dosing of either 8.3 or balance.I have to dose with one or the other every day.I dose my top off water and my ro water.my question is will a calcium reactor help or is there other things I can do.I do 10 percent water change every week,keep lights on 10 hours a day eight of witch with my whites and other to with blues only they r led lights I also have light on my sump that I leave on when lights in main tank r off. I even keep window cracked that is close to tank,not that I really think that it helps but I was told it might. I have a solid three inch sand bed with 130 pounds of base and live rock any advice would be helpful my calcium level is seven and alk is 15 from all the dosing.

Don't chase a number. I know my tanks ph because of my apex but unless it is really low ie. less than 7.7 I just let it ride. If your tank is happy the number doesn't matter. I average between 7.8 and 8.1. An alk of 15 is getting high. Stop dosing and let it drop. Your ph is fine.

A calcium reactor will lower your ph. The effluent out is normally 6.5.

Honestly I don't even know what my PH is and I've had my tank for 6 month now. Nothing is dead......yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Though , I dont test Ph , and depend on water for my parameters. Its good to track trends. So as long as your test kit holds out, why not. It my impression that the products 8.3 and balance you are using is in lieu of water changes. Though trying to correct is normally futile in a small tank. all the dosing affects it. Usually its swinging Ca due to low magnesium that is precipitating.
Is your sand aroginite? It will buffer Ph swings. Gravel does work slightly better than fine sand because it breaths.
Tempature steady?
As an experiment.
Increase water flow across the sand to strong flow.
Increase W.E. to 15% weekly, S.G. To 1.025. Depend on fully supplemented reef salt to keep your bony minerals and ph stable. Reef salt Ca 500 Mag 1250 ect..
Understand, no Ca or mag or carbonate buffer. This high S.G doesnt leave a lot of room and you may precipitate all your minerals.

What are you using to test the pH? I agree with not being overly concerned with chasing a number, IF your livestock isn't stressing.

Often the test kit or device doing the testing is what isn't accurate. A 0.2 fluctuation is nothing to worry about, IMO.

Jenn

Back