Looking to build a mantis shrimp tank

DocNos

Supporting
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I upgraded from a 65 to 120 gallon, and I'm interested in turning the 65 gal tank into a peacock mantis shrimp tank. Does anyone have 1 or have any advice on keeping 1?

They are very straight forward.
Some people say they are picky eaterers, but everyone I have seen is a ferocious eater if comfortable in the tank. Mine eats anything meaty. Shrimp, squid, krill, etc. I also give her some live clams to wack. When I’m in a hurry, she will also eat pellets.
Best to keep them solitary although, I do have a damselfish in mine that she doesn't bother(or cant catch). Any corals seem to be fine but certainly glue them down as my shrimp likes to take loose ones to her den for decoration.
I don't think they are jumpers. She’s in an open top, rimless tank.
And be carful when cleaning.. The punch hurts quite a bit...0ECDAA42-594E-415D-9D89-8E57C7B469C3.jpeg

Attachments

• FA06387B-BBCB-417C-9E94-531117DEA6B3.jpeg
    FA06387B-BBCB-417C-9E94-531117DEA6B3.jpeg
    423.6 KB · Views: 25
That is incredibly cool. Thanks for the info. I still have almost all the parts of my 65 gal, so it wouldn't take much to start it. Is there any requirement on sand depth, and how did you make the den?

My sand bed is about 3-4”. You could probably get away with a little less. I made a small cave in the beginning and she dug out all the sand underneath. She has used pieces of clam shell to reinforce the side walls of the den to stop it from caving in. Theres two entrances/exits and a little sky light through the rocks in the middle.

Wew more mantis people! This is my wennerae, I've had it for about 18 months.

TWqauTG.jpg

Back