Looking to get back in the hobby- Equipment Advice

jayroc24

Reaction score
I have a question for those who might be willing to share their experience and knowledge.

So after 8 to 10 years of being away I am looking to get back in, technology has changed quite a bit since I last got out.
In the past I have had a 125 RR and 75 RSM, both had established reefs, never really satisfied with either of them however looking to do things a little different this time around.

My pains in the past have been the following;

I cannot stand air bubbles or dirty glass, coraline algea is a pain to clean (usually my fault for over dosing)
Protein skimmers the last RSM I was constantly fighting with this, the 125 I did okay with the PS.
Water changes and water testing- is the APEX stuff the way to go these days? I am just starting to research this stuff
Feeding- is there a great way to automate this now

Concentrating more towards the reef side with only minimal fish, with a size range of 90 to 175 gallons, I will say the more organized and compact the better IMO.

If money was no object (and money always is...) what would be the way you would go in that size?
Ideally looking for something that helps with the maintenance (as nothing ever gets rid of it, it is a labor of love).

Is it a custom built system- if you don't mind, would share what that would look like?
Is it something like the new RSM S series with some add on's (Apex with wave pack/chiller)?

I would very much like to purchase locally and don't mind spending just a little bit more in doing so.
I would like to thank all of you in advance for your time in replying to this thread, really looking forward to learning from all of you.

Money no option I'd go:
Waterbox aquarium (180.5 gal)
Radion Lighting
t5HO supplemental lighting
Vortec powerheads/pumps
Apex controller
Neptune DOS (x2) (1 for dosing, one for auto water change)
Neptune Trident (auto testing)
Tunze ATO
Calcium Reactor
Algae scrubber

The neptune system is amazing especially when combine with the trident and DOS units. It basically takes the guess work out of having to dos. You can also use another DOS unit to set up auto water changes. If your bad about doing them like so many of us are it is awesome system. Algae scrubber is my go to way for phosphate control now. Just simpler and less to have to worry about. Roller mats are amazing since they take the place of filter socks. Much easier to change something once a month then once or multi times a week.

Money no option I'd go:
Waterbox aquarium (180.5 gal)
Radion Lighting
t5HO supplemental lighting
Vortec powerheads/pumps
Apex controller
Neptune DOS (x2) (1 for dosing, one for auto water change)
Neptune Trident (auto testing)
Tunze ATO
Calcium Reactor
Algae scrubber
This guy gets it! I don't have any experience with calcium reactor myself though. Maxspec is also good choice for a powerhead. I have both in my tank.

My personal experience and opinion...

I have two red sea tanks - love them both. The simplicity of the tank and the finish of the stand is what attracted me. Everything works as it should and customer support is great with follow up and responses. There are complaints of seam failures but they are quick to address and remedy the situation from what I've seen. No issues with the seams in my tank.

Skimmer - I've had 3 brands in my experience: Eshopps Premier series, Vertex Alpha Series, and Reef Octo Classics. Vertex is by far superior but they are no longer in business, but they use the same pumps as the Bubble King (Red Dragons).

Water changes - this is up to you and maintenance on how you want to manage your tank. I do mine bi-weekly to vacuum the sand bed. Several tanks out there are doing no water changes with the triton method and adding back in elements that get depeleted.

Water testing - I only test Alk & Nitrate now days. Alk weekly and Nitrates bi-weekly just to make sure I should be where I'm at. However, if you get the Apex, you can get the Trident like many have, seem to have good reviews.

If I were to do it all over again - I would probably go with a eurobraced tank to have that added piece of mind. Maybe not, like I said, I'm pretty happy about my Red Sea tanks.

This guy gets it! I don't have any experience with calcium reactor myself though. Maxspec is also good choice for a powerhead. I have both in my tank.
No doubt. Maxspect Gyres are great from what I hear. I have an Icecap Gyre in my 120. It was between the Maxspect or MP40 and I think ease of cleaning gives the MPs the advantage.

In your size range, I'd look at ~120 gallon aquariums. Which are kind of the perfect ratio at 4' x 2' x 2', imo.
For lights I would definitely go with an Aquatic Life hybrid fixture, with LED's of your choice. This provides the best of both T5 fluorescent & LED lighting.
2x Vortech MP40 powerheads
Trigger Systems sump
Reef Octopus VarioS DC pump, for return pump
The new Apex controller
2x Ecotech Versa peristaltic pumps. One for Tropic Marin's All for Reef (see below), and one for amino acids (Acropower or Coralamino)
Tunze ATO
120 lbs of MarcoRocks
120 lbs of Caribsea Special Reef Grade aragonite gravel
Tropic Marin's All for Reef, which you can also mix yourself in batches and save $$. This saves you a lot of dosing, calc or kalk reactors, etc. (ie about as close to cruise control as it gets!)

I love my red sea, and wouldn't mind having tgere new 900! But they have good tanks and you can gey a deal on a used one sometimes.

Radion Lighting or check out noopsyche for budget
t5HO supplemental lighting - i ike the noopsyches
Vortec powerheads/pumps
Apex controller
Neptune DOS for auto water change or litermeter
Neptune Trident
Spectrapure ato
Calcium Reactor
Algae scrubber

If money were not an issue:
Reef Saavy
Then Mode, Planet Aquarium
Then
Waterbox
RedSea
There are more, but you get the idea.
For testing:
GHL because they have an ion detector due out this month and Neptune has not even mentioned nitrates and phosphate testing yet.
But if money were no object, would get both systems just because.
Lighting:
Radion gen5 or AI newest generation depending on tank sizing
LifeReef skimmer
Advanced Acrylic custom pvc sump and refugium.
Abyzz return
Ecotech pumps with battery backups.

Daddy deep pockets
He said if money weren't an option....

Seriously though, so much depends on what your budget is. Of the items I listed, I only have an Apex. I do think if you are doing a large tank, an apex is a must have. Everything else there are many different products that work.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

I also think getting out there and seeing peoples setups is a great idea. It'll give feel for what different people are doing. No two systems are the same.

For the actual display I'd stay with something 2 feet in width as a minimum. That puts you in the standard 120, 180 or 220 size range depending on your height preference. But if money is no issue I'd go custom, something with 3' to 4' of width. Length and height would be based on what you like. 4', 6' or longer. 18", 24" or 30" at max height. The main thing is the extra width. It's gives you so many more options for scaping and real estate for coral placement.

Everything else comes down to function and budget, there are tons of options now.

All, thank you for your responses, I wanted to see what the best setup would look like in your mind if money was not an object.
Believe me, money is always a factor, as we all know.

I will certainly begin the process of researching these items to determine my next move.
A few of you mentioned some items that I am not familiar with, I have a lot of reading ahead me.

This will take some time and really I don't think I will be able to start this project until fall, but it will make a perfect winter project.

If the mods are okay with it, I would like to reuse this thread to ask questions about some of the items from time to time; if you all are willing to share your knowledge?

Again, I want to thank you all for your time as I begin my re-education of this hobby!

All, thank you for your responses, I wanted to see what the best setup would look like in your mind if money was not an object.
Believe me, money is always a factor, as we all know.

I will certainly begin the process of researching these items to determine my next move.
A few of you mentioned some items that I am not familiar with, I have a lot of reading ahead me.

This will take some time and really I don't think I will be able to start this project until fall, but it will make a perfect winter project.

If the mods are okay with it, I would like to reuse this thread to ask questions about some of the items from time to time; if you all are willing to share your knowledge?

Again, I want to thank you all for your time as I begin my re-education of this hobby!
You can ask whatever you want. We don't mind. It's your thread.

Hey and welcome back to the hobby! In my opinion, a must have tool for anyone who hates coraline algae is a good magnetic scraper. Flipper is easily the best since it has a blade inside the tank that does all the scraping. It is a bit pricey but definitely worth the cost. As for skimmers, the Reef Octopus brand is always a great one. Ive had two, one a HOB and the other an in-sump, both are fantastic and worth every penny. They also aren't too terribly expensive, especially compared to a Bubble King or a Nyos skimmer. IMO, the red sea plug and play systems are fantastic but not worth the money. The lights aren't powerful enough and will have to be replaced if you want to do any high light species like SPS. I would put your money into the lights. They are easily the most important part of a reef tank and will also hold their value the best. Hope this helps!

Back