Looking to pick up a decent rodi unit.

mapleredta

Market
Reaction score
A lot of people I've seen are using the aquatic life RO buddy three stage from amazon with the di cartridge. It's 59.49 for the 50g unit on Amazon and 31.98 for the di cartridge. Any of you guys have any first hand experience on this piece?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I know a ton of folks use the BRS RODI units.

I haven't used the RO Buddie, but just from looking at it, it looks like the membrane does most of the heavy lifting, and that is probably the most expensive piece to replace in an RO unit. If it were me, i'd rather have a unit that has DI resin before the membrane so the membrane is polishing much cleaner water. It would probably save you a lot of money in the long run.

I will recommend invest in a good Rodi unit. I really like the Brs unit. They last me a while before I have to change out the filter. Comes with tds meter and other accessories too.

I like the typhoon III rodi from our sponsor Aur, Water, and Ice. 4 stage pre filter, RO membrane, and a di stage. Produces 150 gallons a day

Crew;1069581 wrote: I know a ton of folks use the BRS RODI units.

I haven't used the RO Buddie, but just from looking at it, it looks like the membrane does most of the heavy lifting, and that is probably the most expensive piece to replace in an RO unit. If it were me, i'd rather have a unit that has DI resin before the membrane so the membrane is polishing much cleaner water. It would probably save you a lot of money in the long run.

you deionize the water before the membrane separates the solids?

Nope, you're right. I was mixing the two up.

Forget what I said.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

The units themselves don't differ much one to another. Housings, brackets, tubing, fittings.

It's what you put in them (cartridges, membranes) that does make a difference.

Keeping your prefilters clean and changing them more often prolongs the life of the membrane. I am partial to the 5-micron grooved melt-blown polypropylene sediment cartridges. Inexpensive, gradient density and grooves last longer and filter better.

High quality carbon block reduces the amount of phosphate coming from the carbon block (all carbon contains phosphate), and gets the chlorine out - chlorine kills the membrane.

A high-rejection membrane, and then a mixed bed DI and you're set.

All cartridges aren't created equal, and the ones labeled specifically for aquariums are usually more expensive and aren't necessarily better.

The ones from big box home improvement stores usually have a lower gallons-treated rating too.

If you need help with cartridges, or membranes, PM me. It's what I do for a living.

Jenn

Back